We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can a 24 year old have a good time living in Dar es Salaam?

Toronto/Dar es...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Can a 24 year old have a good time living in Dar es Salaam?

Hey to all the well versed Tanzanians and Tanzanian travellers.

I have been to dar quite a few times...but I am actually moving there permanently on Monday..

Do you think I can have as good as a time living there as I would have coming from a city such as Toronto and Dubai?? I mean obviouslly there will be sacrifices to be made, and it wont be the same.. But in your opinion do you think the nightlife, gyms, food etc. can be decent enough for me to get by?

Let me know..Thanks!!

NEW YORK
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can a 24 year old have a good time living in Dar es Salaam?

Each city has it's own unique flavor, that's why world travel is fun. I'm sure that you will adjust to life in TZ, and look on the bright side, no more long cold Toronto winters!!

Also, it's a little late to get cold feet now....

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can a 24 year old have a good time living in Dar es Salaam?

There is actually quite a bit of night life in Dar, but you have to look for it. You will find gyms, and I find quite a few very good restaurants there. I know quite a few 20 somethings there.

Concord, Ma. USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can a 24 year old have a good time living in Dar es Salaam?

Ahh 24... You are very lucky to be traveling and seeing the world! Having traveled a bit myself, I would say (keeping in mind that it's all an adventure and you can make fun wherever you go) there are a LOT more interesting and friendly places in Tanzania than Dar. I'm not sure why you are planning to live there (work?) but you should check out Zanzibar or some of the more rural and beautiful parts of Africa farther North. Even Moshi which is near Mt. Kili is a cool place and not too overdone. Dar strikes me as as citified Africa with lots of smog and beggars, whereas I don't think there is any other place in Tanz. like that. Good luck and if you do decide to live there, definitely travel around the country!

4. Re: Can a 24 year old have a good time living in Dar es Salaam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, September 30, 2009