We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hotels in Dar Es Salaam

England
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help with hotels in Dar Es Salaam

Hi Guys,

I see many hotels are availble in Dar Es Salaam to choose from.

Having decided to visit in Nov 2007, can anyone recommend be a good, clean hotel near the city centre, which also is good in the proce range?

I would prefer a hotel that enables me to easily visit the city centre in Dar Es Salaam and shop around, with food courts.

Any help and advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with hotels in Dar Es Salaam

Mysterious...Could you be a little more definitive. There are many hotels in the city center of Dar, but they are very different price points. I like to stay at the Econolodge on Libya Street near Mgorogoro Road. It's right in the hustle and bustle of Dar and it's where the locals stay. About $25 a night including breakfast. The New Africa is on Sokoine Street near to the harbor, rack rate is $140 but you can negotiate down to $100 if they are not busy. There's also the Holiday Inn, cost about $125, The Movenpick is around $200 and the Peacock is right behind the Econolodge and I think they are about $75. The highest priced hotel would be the Kilimanjaro Hotel and I don't know what the rack rate is there, but I would guess it's in the $150 - $200 range. All of these are clean hotels, some at African standards.

So as you can see there's a wide range of price points. All these are in the city center. As for food courts, I think you are meaning like those found in shopping malls. There are very few of these there and hardly any shopping malls. There is an area of some food shops (fast food type) on Samora Street in the city center. Also there's a fast food court on the corner of Samora and Ohio streets. Most people eat in small local restaurants.

England
Level Contributor
35 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with hotels in Dar Es Salaam

Thank you Karl for your reply and advise.

Indeed many hotels to choose from, and this leaves me even more confused!!

Basically I am looking to stay in Dars for a couple of nights before going to Mwanza, and then to a nearby town where I was born.

I will be returning to my birth place after nearly 20 years, and having come to the UK at a young age of 7, Dars is going to be a completely new experience for me. I am confused as to the areas in Dars and where in Dars I should be staying where I can have a good time, with shopping centre not far off.

I have been to the safari and stuff, so the two nights is Dars will be to enjoy the areas around that a tourist would like.

Any advise?

I will be researching more on the net......and maybe that will help me more.

Are you aware of any site where I can get a tourist map for Dars? As in around city centre area or something?

Thanks

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with hotels in Dar Es Salaam

Mysterious... Dar is a very large city and if you try to figure it out you will get very confused. If you try to go there and figure Dar out you will get confused. Just go and explore. The main street where shops are located is called Samora street. If you've never been there before the Iwould suggest that you stay at the New Africa hotel. It's close to Samora street. I have a map of the main tourist area of Dar if you would like to have a copy of it I would be happy to e-mail it to you. Yo can e-mail me a gingrich@tds.net. Dar is a large big city and you will not be able to cover it in 2 days it would be like saying you could cover London in 2 days. If your parents come with you they will probably be familiar with Dar and can help you a bit.

4. Re: Help with hotels in Dar Es Salaam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, September 11, 2009