We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far is DAR from the ferry port in Dar es Salaam?

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How far is DAR from the ferry port in Dar es Salaam?

Hello All - Have done some internet searching, but cannot find any information on the distance/time to get to DAR from the City Centre.

The plan is to take a ferry from Zanzibar back to the mainland at the end of our holiday. Will we have enough time to take the 10.30 ferry (arrive 12noon) for a 1pm check in at DAR for a 3pm flight back to UK?

Otherwise, we can get the 7.00 ferry, but that will mean a v early rise at Pongwe beach!

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far is DAR from the ferry port in Dar es Salaam?

If you add the costs of the ferry with the costs of a taxi to the Dar airport, it gets very close to the cost of a flight. A ferry is what, around $25-30 per person? And then the taxi to the airport - depends on your bargaining skills - is probably around $10-20 these days...A flight costs $55-$70 per person and obviously takes much less time.

Anyway, if the ferry arrives at noon, you could probably get to the airport within an hour. Traffic can be backed up sometimes but without traffic, it's probably a 30-45 minute drive.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far is DAR from the ferry port in Dar es Salaam?

Thanks Brian - this is what I have started to investigate - the thought of the ferry sounded like fun, but I know my otherhalf will jsut be panicking! - There is a flight that leaves Zanzibar at the far more civilised 11.50!!

Thanks for your reply

Gerry

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far is DAR from the ferry port in Dar es Salaam?

Lots of people. Sea-sickness often causes a lot of vomiting into little bags. I have seen dolphins from the ferry, but I would not call it fun. You can see dolphins in Zanzibar (Kizimkazi) if you want. I would also not call the taxi ride to the airport fun - though if you haven't seen Dar, then you get to see some of it - enough to realize you haven't missed a whole lot. Sorry, I'm not a big fan of Dar.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,197 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far is DAR from the ferry port in Dar es Salaam?

Gezza! a short hop from the Island to DAR makes more sense in your scenario.

Brian,

"Sorry, I'm not a big fan of Dar. " That makes two of us.

Having said that all African cities should be visited now and again.

I have fond memories of the full moon on the ocean from the Restaurant at Seacliff, bottle of red and a steak. Downside was Mrs M was back home and I was alone!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far is DAR from the ferry port in Dar es Salaam?

Brian and Gezza.. The traffic in Dar is getting worse and worse and some days it looks like a parking lot with nothing moving. Typically, outgoing (which you would be going from the ferry docks to the airport) is rather light at noontime, but one can never tell for certain. The taxi fare will be closer to $20 then $10. The standard rate to the New Africa hotel from the airport is $20 now and with the increased diesel fuel costs it may be more now. However, one can always negotiate it downward.

Brian, you surprise me, a big NY City boy like yourself and you're not a fan of Dar. Me, I'm a country hick sitting here today watching my corn grow all around me, and I rather enjoy Dar. I used to not enjoy it; but after so many times when I had to be there (the embassy is in Dar so I need to be there at times, and many of the businesses that I work with are there) I got used to it and know where to go for different things, so any more I actually enjoy my stays there. I'll never enjoy its heat and humidity though.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far is DAR from the ferry port in Dar es Salaam?

Hey Karl,

Actually... my name is not telling the story. I'm currently living in Brooklyn, but I was born and raised in a small Iowa town. I'm actually looking to get out of this city. Mind you, the city is great in many ways, but after almost 9 years, I think I've had enough.

If I do move, I don't suppose TripAdvisor will let me change my name???

Anyway, I lived in a village far from Dar with moderate temperatures. I visited Dar on a regular basis to visit the Peace Corps headquarters but on a Peace Corps stipend, I always stayed at the YWCA and that wasn't exactly luxury - no air conditioning and it could be unbearably hot. Add to that the noise and dirt of a city and I was always anxious to get some place cooler. But, I do think that Dar has improved in recent years and would be a fine place to visit if I were staying in nice hotels with air conditioning.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far is DAR from the ferry port in Dar es Salaam?

Brian... So you are from corn country also. Dar has improved quite a bit in the last several years. The traffic is terrible and getting worse, but they have some really good restaurants there but you have to look for them since most are hidden in back out of the way places. My favorite Chinese restaurant (in all the world, and I mean that) is in Dar in an out of the way place; I always go there whenever I'm in Dar. There's also some good nightlife there, and I like some of the local pubs also.