We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tanzania travel - volunteering

Louisiana
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
tanzania travel - volunteering

I'm wondering if anyone has tips on which months would be the best for volunteering in Tanzania, probably Dar es Salaam. I'll be there for about 6 weeks, and I'm trying to decide whether to go in June & July or August & September. The weather and the fact that it is peak season are making me hesitant about June & July. Any suggestions?? I'd also like to get some travel in there either before or after volunteer work. I'm hoping to visit Rwanda (Kigali) and Kenya, as well as getting in a safari. Any advice? For example, I'm not sure how much time to dedicate to the side trips, Rwanda and a safari. By the way .. I'm traveling alone also, and it is my first time in Africa.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tanzania travel - volunteering

TFletch... I'm not certain that I fully understand your question(s). The weather is generally seen as better in June/July then other months as Dar can get very hot during their summer months. But perhaps since you're from Louisiana you might be accustomed to hot weather. Being on the coast, Dar can get some rain almost any time.

For a safari you will need to either travel to Arusha (you can do this by bus or air) or go to the Southern Circuit which would be closer to Dar and visit places such as Mikumi or Ruaha. In any case you will most probably need a day's travel going and coming for either the Northern or Southern safari circuit. Rwanda is a long way and if you don't fly there it will probably take you a couple of days to get there and a couple of days to get back. Buses run to Nariobi every day and will take most of a day to get there.

Six weeks is probably enough time, depending on how much time will be required for your volunteer work, to do everything which you have stated; but you do need to begin to narrow down what you plan to do.

Many times the volunteer agencies will be able to help you plan your travels in-country.

Tarangire National...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: tanzania travel - volunteering

While in Kigali try the Impala Hotel. It is just six months old and has nice rooms, good food and efficient staff. Good value for money. Rooms at 65 dollars are available.

3. Re: tanzania travel - volunteering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 pm, September 03, 2009