We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need the jab?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,253 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need the jab?

Just kidding!

Went to doc today to discuss the trip. I got a flu shot in one arm, the Hep A in the other, prescriptions for malaria Meds and Cipro (and Vicodin from my neurosurgeon for my neck) plus an "order" for the yellow fever shot at the county health department.

We discussed the yellow fever shot in detail, since i am over 60. He feels as most here do, that the benefits far outweigh the risks (like my neuro, my primary care physician has been to Africa, and has had the yellow fever shot himself) Since we are going on to Rwanda where it is required, my only choices were to get the shot, or get a waiver. Mr S and i have decided to get the jab.

I guess we're really coming!

Edited: 2:45 am, November 05, 2013
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Do I need the jab?

<<<< We plan on photographing our youngest grandkids over Thanksgiving. They are two boys, 2 and almost 4, and a 4 month old. they too, approximate wild animals! >>>>

LOL. Faster than cats, too.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,461 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Do I need the jab?

Surely SF has enough sports /travel shops to give you a feel of makes and models of pants to work? Even Eddie Bauer has a like of quick wash ansd dry travel clothes...unless you hear the call of the Magellan trinkets and choose to heed it. REI, perhaps? Anyplace that sells outdoor stuff like canoeing will carry clothing. Then if cheaper, order on line once you learn the fit.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Do I need the jab?

I buy very inexpensive comfortable stuff at shops like Ross Dress For Less or Marshalls -- on sale, 10 bucks or so. Same with tops. Things I could happily leave behind if I wanted to. Africa simply isn't about what you wear -- except insofar as it needs to be comfortable and easy to wash. Wrinkles? Who cares? Boring? Who cares? Unflattering? Who cares? Now, shoes are a whole different matter. If I need to walk any distance at all, they need to be comfortable. I need to be able to get in and out of them quickly. They need to provide protection. Etc. Etc. I put a good deal of effort into shoes. I'd rather have one extra pair of shoes with me that 10 extra tops.

But you know what's easy to forget? Something to sleep in. I'd hate to be caught in the middle of the night in some sort of emergency, naked. Unlikely though it is, my husband tells a hilarious story of a woman in Tahiti who ran screaming from her lovely straw hut on the beach, in the middle of the night, naked. She'd encountered a bird-eating spider measuring about 8" across in her suitcase. Since being told that story, I've never slept in a strange place naked again.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Do I need the jab?

I'm happy to hear about your decision to get a yellow fever shot. I can promise you that after your first safari that you'll want to go on more. I don't believe that there is any travel experience that can compare tiht the sheer excitement, pleasure, and educational value of going on a safari. As you can see here, and www.safaritalk.net almost everyone feels the same as I do. I've already been on five safaris, and will be going on two next year,

I will advise you as someone else already has to get a good pair of goretex walking boots which offer ankle support. I once made the mistake of going chimp trekking in Kibale National park in my normal walking shoes, which didn't offer any ankle support; I twisted my ankle which made walking painful for the next few days. However, I continued walking as I had to see the chimps.

My ankle was still hurting me when I went gorilla trekking, but despite the steep incline I still did the trek. This was in Uganda; you won't have to walk uphill for so long as I know you'll be going gorilla trekking in Rwanda.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
16,253 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Do I need the jab?

Ghumoon, i think perhaps you and i are virtual twins! i am also 5'1" (and shrinking) and not the normal petite size for that height. so i have to try everything on. what i can wear spans 3 sizes, depending on style and designer (when i say designer, i mean, like, Levi, Lee, etc. lol)

i will definitely need new hiking boots--fast. i found mine, and they are very lightweight and were fine hiking down the Aguille du Midi, but i think not so much in tropical conditions (the trek) very little ankle support.

QM, i don't really live in san francisco (tho i did for 9 years) i am now halfway between SF and LA, but TA gave me no options for my location. so i picked SF! lol. i did find an Eddie Bauer outlet about 120 miles from here, so maybe time for a road trip!

Africanman, we're over 60 so we did think about whether we should get the shot or not, but my doc pretty much said, get it! so...that's that!

thanks for all the advice, it's invaluable! (plus there is not a snarky person on this forum, which cannot be said for a few other TA forums!)

Edited: 3:35 pm, November 07, 2013
26. Re: Do I need the jab?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 09, 2014