We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

I was just reading in the Kenya Digital Standard the following Security Warning issued by the Tanzania Government:

"Following the rising levels of insecurity in the country, the government of the United Republic of Tanzania has issued a travel advisory warning the wildebeests intending to migrate from the Serengeti National Park to the Maasai Mara Game Reserve. The Tanzanian government warned that it couldn’t assure them of security. The wildebeests migrate seasonally from the Serengeti to the Maasai Mara, in search of pastures. It is feared the directive is likely to disrupt the travel plans for tens of thousands of them."

The entire article can be found at:

www.standardmedia.co.ke/…

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,627 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

< As I know, the new highway will not be built though the Serengeti due to international pressure >

Well I for one would be interested to learn of your source for this information. Tanzanians have yet to learn of it.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

That road, the last I heard, was being built and started. It will be a hard surfaced road up to the Serengeti, and through the Serengeti it will be a dirt/gravel road, then on the other side in the Mara Region it will be hard surfaced again.

This is not the only road of this kind in the Serengeti, the other roads are for tourists (which means that those outside Tz won't say anything about this because it carries their behinds through the Serengeti, and it doesn't faze the wildebeests). I have never understood what all the fuss was about this, and from what I read and saw, those making the most fuss didn't know Tz or the Serengeti, they just had an agenda. Got to watch those who only have an agenda. They hurt the Tanzania people, not deliberately, but nonetheless they do.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

Interesting. Thanks for your replies. I wonder when the road will reach the Serengeti?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

Part of the confusion comes from describing it as "the road." In fact, most of the road already exists - just not in the shape needed to support the kind of traffic expected... trucks and so on.

I've been on the stretch from Mugumu into the Serengeti. It is a standard dirt track. The approved highway plan provides for improving and or paving the eastern sections from Arusha to the Serengeti and the western sections from the Lake to the park border. Most of these roads exist already. It appeared from the plans I looked at last year that much of the actual route across the Serengeti wa surveyed and not just connecting already common drives accross the park.

Will it be completed - who knows. This is Africa! But the last official word was that the road would be built with the compromise described by Karl - pavement to the park on both ends, dirt accross the park...

15. Re: A little lighthearted humor, on a serious problem.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 19, 2014