We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari in March

San Diego
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Safari in March

Family of 5, first safari, lots of choices!! Are the Crater rim lodges in this high season too touristy vs. staying at Gibbs Farm? Not sure about Olduvai camp and would like another alternative that also includes the local people. Would like a hike somewhere along the way (3-4 hours). Any suggestions. Thanks so much.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari in March

Don't know about Olduvai, but stay on the rim. You want to get down into the crater as early in the morning as possible, when the animals are still active, before the heat of the day. Gibbs Farm -- or any of the lodges in Karatu -- will delay you considerably. We always stay at the Sopa Lodge, as the access road is the closest of any road to a lodge. Yeah -- it's "touristy," but it's worth it. Plus, after several nights in tented camps, it's not a bad thing to have access to a hair dryer for one morning.

I'd like to suggest, as well, that -- in lieu of or in addition to a hike -- you might enjoy a canoe trip on Little Momella Lake in Arusha National Park. It was a highlight of our last trip -- a bit of exercise (you help to row), and a very different perspective of landscape and wildlife. We floated along the shoreline a few meters from giraffes who had come down to drink, shared the water with hippos and their young, and were nearly nose-to-nose with a Cape Buffalo who was resting on the bank. Lots of water birds, and a lovely boomslang in the tree above our heads -- nearly invisible with his green scales and slim body. It was a delightful couple of hours.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,266 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari in March

Gibbs farm for me is way over the top price wise, and of course doesn't have the crater views...well worth it.

Gibs Farm is also at Karatu so the trip in the morning will take about 2-3 hours also the road is rough, steep, and many vehicles using it. You want to travel this road when not in a rush to get anywhere.

If you stay on the Rim either at Sopa or one of the others ..but Sopa is close by an hour or so then a beautiful walk would be at Empakai Crater or in that area.

Olduvai Camp is in the NCCA and would not involve the local communities.

The camps at Tarangire are best for this.

Sopa is touristy but Gibbs Farm is also...and costs twice as much.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari in March

Agree with NE on Gibbs Farm. That's the essence of "touristy".

Stay on the crater rim. I always like the Wildlife lodge, very partial to the view on the patio.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari in March

I have to agree with Sandy in regard to the Canoe Ride in Arusha National Park. It was our first taste of "safari". The park was beyond our imagination, very beautiful. We went at the end of March and were absolutely amazed at how luscious and green the park was. For us the canoe ride was so serial. Canoeing in Africa! Wow!!

To be honest, I did very little paddling and a lot of just soaking it all in.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,273 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari in March

Here is a third for Arusha National Park. I went later April, but lush and green, and definitely not on the regular tourist route so underutilized. You can also do a 2 hour walk with a ranger - goes up to a small waterfall and by their resident bachelor herd of buffalo. We didn't do the canoe ride, but certainly an option. Make sure you build in time to get to the black and white colobus monkeys (I missed them). It is a lovely first 'safari' and easy to help with jet lag and acclimatization.

6. Re: Safari in March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 31, 2014