We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread

Which Tanzania hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread

This thread is for people to post their trip report so that there is a common place for others to look through.

492 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,336 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread

Hi Karl.

Is there a way you can pin it so that it stays at the top of the list where it is constantly visible? must be a way.

Level Contributor
440 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread

Thanks for starting this thread Karl - great idea to make it easier to search. In my own planning, I did searches and viewed countless threads of trip reports/reviews . . . having them in one place is genius and a big time saver for all!

I originally posted this review about my 11-day safari upon my return to the US in late January, but probably makes sense to repeat it (very slightly modified from my original post):

I can't believe it's over is the first thing I think. A little over a year ago, I made it a practice to read this forum every day to get ideas - itinerary, length, clothing, etc. We then booked our flights using miles. And finally we sent out feelers to several safari companies highly recommended on this forum.

Ultimately, we had to make the tough choice between the two companies with whom we had the best communications: Access 2 Tanzania and Roy Safaris. We chose Roy Safaris, but we were very nervous. I have friends who had chosen the usual "American" choices (i.e., the upscale companies you hear of with fancy brochures and websites that regularly do business in the US). And we were nervous about wiring money to Tanzania. But we went ahead with Roy Safaris. And I have to say they were fantastic. We were very pleased with our dealings with Susan via email pre-safari, we were also very pleased with our driver Habib, a true professional. I'll be separately posting a review of Roy in the appropriate review section, but I certainly wanted to mention them here and will make a few more mentions later.

Arrival - Well, flying from the US wasn't easy. We used frequent flyer tickets, via United on the way there, American on the way back. On the arrival, that meant Chicago to Frankfort, Frankfort to Addis Ababa (brief stop in Khartoum), and Addis to Arusha. Well over 24 hours after heading to the airport in Chicago, we ultimately landed in Arusha, at maybe 3am on 12/29. We got off the plane, entered the airport, and were immediately asked for yellow fever certificates. Although they're not needed if you're arriving directly from the US, we arrived most immediately from Ethiopia (Addis) and that is the determining factor.

We then went through immigration, quickly filling out the simple form, paid our $100 visa fee at a separate window (no need to bring any photos with you), got our luggage, and there was a Roy Safari agent waiting for us. Immigration was very quick. We then made the short drive to the Arumeru River Lodge, where we spent the rest of what was the evening of the 28th and the whole 29th. Roy owns the African Tulip and obviously recommended a stay there, but those on this forum recommended Arumeru and that was a great choice. Beautiful, beautiful grounds, terrific service and the ideal place to get over the jet lag before the safari.

Luggage - I followed the advice of those on this forum and brought a soft sided duffle bag. My companion bought a bag with wheels. In retrospect, I wish I had brought a bag with wheels. There were only two of us in the vehicle so it wouldn't have been an issue, and carrying the duffle bag through airports was a nuisance. Maybe if you have more than 2 persons in your group this would be an issue, but I was definitely jealous of my wheeled-bag friend. :) And nobody after said anything about the weights of our bags, and I know at least one of our bags was overweight.

December 30 - the beginning - We woke up the morning of the 30th, had a lovely chat with the very friendly German couple that owns Arumeru, and then left with Habib, our Roy driver. He first brought us to the Roy office in Arusha. We kind of thought this visit was unnecessary, but procedure is procedure and it didn't take much time out of the way.

We then were on our way to Tarangire National Park where we spent much of the day on December 30, 31 and the early morning of January 1 (2 evenings at Tarangire Safari Lodge). The highlights of our two days at Tarangire were definitely the elephants . . . countless elephants . . . as well as a lot of baboons (but lots more, including vervet monkeys, giraffes, ostriches, a pride of 9 lions, impala, water bucks, dik diks, and so many beautiful birds). The views from the Tarangire Safari Lodge, and their public areas, were quite striking. We were told the rains were continuing late this year so everything was extraordinarily green.

I'll be separately reviewing all of the lodges, but I'll say that while I enjoyed TSL, I didn't love it. It was a lower altitude than other places we stayed so a little warm at night in the tent, which made it difficult for me to sleep at night, but that's my issue (I merely mention for others who might be like me and less heat tolerant). I thought I was smart to pack a miniature battery operated fan which I taped to the bed frame when I went to bed (with tape from the desk) . . . this helped me a little. And while we enjoyed the lunches, we thought dinners were pretty bad (but this issue presented itself plenty of places). In any event, we enjoyed TSL and loved Tarangire National Park.

One exciting incident was one day after lunch walking around the camp to see what there was to see, we turned the corner at the last tent only to find a huge elephant right there. It let out a yell, we backed away slowly (and then got a quick picture). That was our only excitement at the Lodge so to speak, but we always enjoyed cocktail hour overlooking the river, watching all of the elephants.

We spent two nights at TSL and had just a little more than two full days in the park and we thought this was a perfect amount of time for the park. We loved it but were ready to move on to Lake Manyara on New Year's Day. And we thought the TSL was an ideal base for our game viewing - so much near the camp.

On New Year's Day, we then went to Lake Manyara National Park, where we spent a full day. Am I missing something here? I'm American, and I loved it. Isn't it true I'm not supposed to? I just don't understand what there is not to love. Parts jungle, parts open plains, all spectacular and lush.

Shortly after entering Lake Manyara, we were greeted by baboons . . . so many baboons. We also so many giraffes and zebras, a lot more elephants, hippos, more beautiful birds . . just no cats. We enjoyed a picnic lunch courtesy of TSL. It was a terrific day, but we were comfortable we saw all of the park in our one day there. Again, I don't understand anyone's boredom with this park, but maybe we simply hit it at the right time of year.

I had just suffered through a couple of largely sleepless nights because I just didn't deal so well with the warm tents at TSL, and also had a number of mosquito bites, so the arrival at Gibb's Farm was good medication. The next morning, we did the Endoro elephant cave walk. No, there was nothing particularly special about this 2 or so hour hike, but it was nice to get some exercise, it was relatively cool at the high elevation, and we got to see a beautiful waterfall. We returned to our room, showered, and then headed out to the Ngorongoro Sopa where we would spend two nights.

We had a brief shopping stop in Karatu, then a grove of whistling acacia trees (fascinating) before heading to the Sopa Lodge. We had heard the Lodge had a tour group feeling, but we were more than pleased with the lodge. The view of the Crater was spectacular, our room was large and comfortable and with a window that looked down to the crater (Room 36 - which was perfect because it was close to the main lodge and on the upper floor). Unfortunately, we thought our two dinners here were some of the worst food we had on our trip, but oh well. And we thought they were a little too pushy about getting you into the bar for drinks.

But no matter the problems with Sopa, the advantages were obvious the next morning. The next morning, we were up early and headed for the Crater just before 6;30. It only took 5 minutes to get into the Crater thanks to Sopa's proximity to the descent road, and that was great. By the way, we had already decided to spend the full day in the Crater (2 6-hour stays) because we had nothing better to do, and we wanted to see a lot of game.

I read some complain that the Crater is too much like a zoo. What nobody told me is that the landscape is beyond stunning. We were truly amazed. And the animals: a bruised lion who had been in a fight was one of our first views, then wildebeest, buffalo, flamingos, ostriches, hyenas (even one carrying off a gazelle leg), jackals, a cheetah, more lions, zebras, 2 rhinos, elephants, gazelles, warthogs, elands, baboons and more. It was all so stunning. And sorry, it's not like any zoo I've visited . . . not even close. We loved the plains, the lake, the woodlands, all spectacular. We were thrilled that we chose to spend a full day in the Crater (even though we did have a brief bit of rain).

I was also surprised that we really didn't have much in the way of crowds. Sure, there was a brief period of rain in the afternoon, and maybe 9 or so vehicles grouped together to watch the lions and stay still until the rain had passed, but otherwise we never were around much car traffic, maybe one or two at times but that's it. If I had to do it over again, I would definitely do a full day in the Crater . .. not even a doubt. By the way, we heard that one of the assent roads is closed and under construction - but I know of little else.

We spent our second night at Sopa before heading out to Ndutu. It was on our drive to the Ndutu Safari Lodge where we encountered the migration - spectacular. We even saw (and photographed) what just might have been two of the first babies of the season. Miles and miles of wildebeest, often running across the road in mass. The scenery made me think of what the American west must have once looked like. I just couldn't get over the spectacular scenery.

Before heading to Ndutu, we decided to visit a Maasai village. I thought I had read that the villages in this general area were touristy, but I don't know how touristy such a village can be when you see their actual living conditions and houses. Maybe they're touristy, but wow, what a glimpse into their lives. We found the villages so fascinating.

Our home for the next three nights was the Ndutu Safari Lodge. It was okay - comfortable room, mosquito nets, generally cool at night. I though the dinners were pretty bad though, and I was annoyed to find a picnic breakfast box not only full of ants, but even dozens (or more) of ants within two slices of bread wrapped well in plastic wrap. It was also slightly unnerving at night because it was so dark and unlike at other camps, they don't walk you to your room/tent. Meanwhile, you see animal eyes with your flashlight (but eventually laugh when you realize they're just dik diks or gazelles, but who knows, right?).

But the wildlife in the area was great, as were the resident love birds. And the fire was always a nice spot at night for cocktails. Game viewing in the area was spectacular - all the wildebeest, the zebras, gazelles, elephants, giraffes, cheetahs (a lot of them), a leopard, lions, hyenas, hippos, big birds, etc. We even followed a cheetah and her two cubs for a while and eventually watched and photographed the cheetah chase and kill a Thompson's Gazelle. Then, after the meal was nearly complete, they hyenas came in to finish the job, much to the dismay of the circling vultures.

We loved the Ndutu area, although the flies were just awful. They weren't tsetse flies, but they were often everywhere and so annoying, even at the Ndutu Safari Lodge. Oh well - I'd still spend 3 days in the area - great game viewing and stunning scenery. But the migration and the cheetah kill were the highlights.

We spent the last two full days (and then one morning) in the Serengeti, where we stayed at Dunia Camp. Dunia was just spectacular.

But as much as we loved Habib, our trip to Dunia was the one moment where we got a little annoyed. Instead of taking the main (dusty) road from Ndutu to the Serengeti, we took a "short cut" which was a dirt road through the plains. Unfortunately, it was really muddy and we ended up getting stuck for over an hour. We hadn't seen any vehicles in more than an hour and were actually nervous we would be sleeping in the vehicle for the evening. But I'll say this about Habib: I have never seen a more resourceful driver (he rescued three other drivers who were stuck during our trip) and he managed to eventually get us out of this mess. And we knew from his reaction that although very proud, he knew he had erred. But all's well that ends well - we made it to Dunia before it got too dark, and just in time for cocktails (which we desperately needed). It was on this part of the trip that we also drove through a woodland area for 10 minutes where tstetses were everywhere - the one time during our whole trip where we closed the windows and turned on the A/C (glad we had it for this brief bit).

My only complaint with Dunia is that I wish we had three nights there. The camp was amazing, and the game viewing in the area spectacular. Loved the kopjes, very different scenery than elsewhere. We saw another leopard, newborn cheetahs, a pride of 15 or so lions in a tree, so many buffalo, giraffes, hippos, baboons, warthogs, more and more lions, and even a honey badger. Other than the wildebeest and the cheetah kill near Ndutu, game viewing in Dunia and the nearby area was about as good. So while I thought we spent the perfect amount of time everywhere else, I wish we had three full days at Dunia. And we had our best dinner of our trip here (Osso bucco in an African curry sauce) and everything about the camp was spectacular.

On our last day, we did some brief game viewing before heading to the Seronera airstrip. We flew on a small plane (Regional Air) from there to Arusha, and then another small plane to Zanzibar (where we spent 5 nights). The views from the plane as we flew low over the parks was spectacular and made for some nice photos. In retrospect, I thought our path of driving from Arusha to Tarangire to Manyara to Ngorongoro to Serengeti and then flying back to Arusha (before flying to Zanzibar) was the ideal route, saving us time in the car and providing us with spectacular views from the air.

More on Habib and Roy Safaris - Our vehicle had seating for 7 (in addition to the driver), although there were only two of us. Our vehicle was only a year old and in great condition. Habib took a lot of pride in the vehicle, washing it every single night and showing up in the morning with the Land Cruiser looking brand new. Habib had 18 years experience and was really great at spotting game. He'd often point out an animal that we couldn't possibly see. Now sometimes he'd pass drivers and they'd stop and compare notes, but often he relief upon his keen eyes to see animals I couldn't believe he could see. He was also very skilled at putting the vehicle in the perfect spot for photographs such as to avoid too much sun. And he quickly learned what interested us, and would ask when we were ready to move on. We had the one incident I mentioned, but over 11 days I suspect you'll get slightly annoyed with everyone - particularly your travel companions! haha

We were also impressed that he would always help out other drivers who were stuck. Interestingly, twice we helped out drivers from one very highly recommended company on this board, both times involving vehicles with awful treads and surprisingly young drivers getting stuck. Before we left on the safari, I wondered a little how some companies could charge so much less for the same itinerary - I think I now have an idea.

One of our favorite times of the day was cocktail hour, and we made sure Habib joined us every time. He was a pleasure to spend time with and I'd highly recommend him and Roy Safaris.

Roads - Yes, some bumpy roads, particularly around Ndutu and the Serengeti, but not so bad really. Also, though I heard so much about the dust, perhaps the extended rain season caused much of the dust to dissipate. For only about an hour of our whole trip did we experience dust, but we watched just how quickly the roads dry and the dust comes into play, as somewhat moist dirty roads quickly became dusty with a little bit of sun.

Camera - I used my Canon Rebel T2i, and while I mostly used my 70-300mm lens, I occasionally switched to 18-55mm which was easy with the minimal dust. Sure, there were a few instances where I wish I had 400mm, but really only a few. I thought my Canon served me very well.

I brought two 32gb photo cards and that was more than enough. I had two batteries, but because I was always able to charge my battery, I never needed the second.

I also recommend 1-2 pairs of good binoculars. We had one and also used the one pair in the vehicle occasionally, but our pair was much better and it was fun to evaluate the animals' behavior.

Clothes - We bought some Ex-Officio bug resistant clothing before the safari and it seemed to work well. I didn't get bit while wearing it. And the light colors came in very handy for the brief 10 or so minutes where we drove through a tsetse heavy area in the Serengeti (they stuck mostly to Habib, who we tried to assist - poor Habib . . . we never got bit).

We did laundry at Ndutu and in Zanzibar. Note that if you are at Dunia, they will not wash underwear/socks.

I know people say it's not a fashion show, and we had mostly ordinary neutral clothing, but a lot of people did dress slightly nicer at night. So no need to, but feel free to bring one decent outfit - many did.

Weather - pretty much perfect everywhere on safari, although Tarangire was a bit warmer. But for the most part, warm with cooling breezes, although my North Face jacket came in handy a couple of times, including near the Crater.

Money - We got about $20 worth of Shillings, but we didn't find that we needed it. US$ were fine and accepted everywhere.

Souvenirs - I'd say you're better off buying them in lodges. You can stop at shops along the way, but you better negotiate hard and be willing to walk away because most everything was priced higher (and much higher) than the shops at the lodges and camps.

Medications - Of course we had our yellow fever shots and our malaria medication (malarone) among other items. I found mosquito wipes came in handy instead of spray (but I still got bit).

Electrical/cell phones/wi-fi - This varied from place to place. I unfortunately had to be accessible by BlackBerry and for the most part the Airtel network was fine. WiFi was often pretty good at places. And in the evening hours, you can always charge your electronics.

I didn't need a converter, just an adapter. And to make it easy, I had a three outlet plug, attached it to an adapter, such that I only needed 1 adapter. I thought this was a good idea.

Overall, just a great trip. So many animals, and so many babies - zebras, the couple wildebeest, elephants, baboons, cheetahs, lions, even a newborn giraffe. I just couldn't get over how spectacular it all was. We were generally pleased with our accommodations, which I'll review in more detail separately. And we were also very pleased with Roy Safaris and Habib (again, we'll review separately). This was the best trip I've ever taken and I wish I could return now.

For all of you out there who are nervous planning your trip, and the huge expenditure it is, I get it. That's how I was. But I'd be more than happy to answer questions about our experience. And a big thanks to all who post here and who helped me plan this trip of a lifetime. You were all so helpful. So a big thanks!

PS - here are links to my photos:

Arumeru River Lodge in Arusha: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15038220@N08/sets/72157632682892176/

Tarangire National Park: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15038220@N08/sets/72157632683750387/

Lake Manyara National Park: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15038220@N08/sets/72157632700237536/

Gibb's Farm, Karatu and Endoro Elephant Caves: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15038220@N08/sets/72157632696140007/

Ngorongoro Crater: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15038220@N08/sets/72157632736594677/

Visit to Maasai boma: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15038220@N08/sets/72157632898047489/

Ndutu: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15038220@N08/sets/72157632774021632/

Serengeti: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15038220@N08/sets/72157632788378043/

Flight from Serengeti to Arusha to Zanzibar: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15038220@N08/sets/72157632882308017/

Zanzibar: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15038220@N08/sets/72157632889657962/

And a link to the entire collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/15038220@N08/collections/72157632683117734/

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
35,751 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread

This is what QM and I mean by pinning Mr G..

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread

Here's mine:

Level Contributor
2,389 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread

Great to put all the trip reports in one place.

Ok here are my trip reports from April 2013.

Part 1 covers our first 2 weeks in Moshi, spending time with ACTT a social enterprise that we support.

Part 2 covers our great safari with Swala Safaris

Part 3 covers our day installling computers at Ashira School.

Part 4 covers our last 10 days in Moshi at ACTT, with our friends there.

And finally there are some amusing/touching stories from our visit.

Edited: 10:01 am, June 17, 2013
Centurion, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the best place to post my Basecamp Tanzania review (I couldn't find any Basecamp page on TA, only forum comments), but here it goes...

We went on a 3 nights Sopa Serengeti / 1 night Sopa Ngorongoro safari on June/2013. We were 5 and were charged US$350 per person per night. Everything was great about the safari. Our guide was Joseph, and that guy has eagle eyes! He could see the animals miles away! When it was our last day and we hadn't seen the cheetah yet, Joseph took us to some pretty deserted roads looking for the cheetahs until he finally found them, a mother with cubs! He was also a very good driver, so we could get the most of our time. We always arrived back at the lodge in the last minutes of daylight.

The management of our trip by Achmed was pretty amazing, too. Our flight was canceled and we arrived with a 12 hour delay. Since it would not be possible to reach Serengeti on the same day, Achmed organized everything to change our reservations to Ngorongoro first and then to the Serengeti, without any additional cost. And they had no power in Arusha while he was organizing it... We were supposed to lose one day of our trip but Achmed saved it. Then in our last day, our flight was at 4am, so Achmed organized a hotel in Arusha where we could have dinner and some sleep, and he even invited us for a few beers and chatting at the hotel, it was great!

I think we always get a little scared when booking these trips online, but you can thrust Achmed and Basecamp Tanzania. They are very good and honest people, and their prices are very competitive too. Now I'm planning my Kilimanjaro climbing and I'll go with them again!

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
727 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread

Here's mine:

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread

Thanks Karl! I was trying to post something a few minutes ago, and couldn't find out how. How sad is it that I had to Google it! :) Here is my report:

Tanzanian Safari Report (tour operator Safari Infinity)

This is my first post on this forum (although I am a long-time lurker and have oftentimes benefitted from the collective wisdom). I apologise if I do everything wrong! We thought we would share our own experience, in the hope it may help those planning a Tanzanian safari. We had a blog while we were gone, and will now start loading pictures in the photo album page. For those interested, our blog is here: http://twotallchicks.wordpress.com/

Tour operator: Safari Infinity

Country visited: Tanzania

Parks visited: Tarangire, Manyara (planned, but ended up skipping), Serengeti, Ngorongoro

Date: end May to mid-June (8 days safari, 4 days in Zanzibar)

Traveller: two women, no prior safari/African trip experience

Camps/lodges used: Bay Leaf (Arusha, start of safari), Oliver's Camp, Endoro Lodge, Katikati Tented Camp, Mbalageti tented Camp, Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge, Bay Leaf (Arusha, end of safari)

Flew KLM all the way* (departure Ottawa - Amsterdam - Kilimanjaro - Zanzibar, return Zanzibar - Dar es Salaam - Amsterdam - Ottawa). KLM rocks. What can we say!

*Precision Air was used for the Kili-Zan-Dar legs. Not as impressed with them. 5 hours late, no explanation, no meal or even a bottle of water provided (a bunch of us waited almost 6 hours at Zanzibar terminal, which is tiny with limited wifi and no charging capabilities that I could see). Had 10 minutes to spare for our KLM connection.

At camps, the food was mix of buffet style, which meant we could get whatever we chose, and sit-down dinners with courses, desserts, and drinks. Food was plentiful, warm when it needed to be, and delicious. Bottled water in every room, every night (except Katikati, but it's so cheap at the "bars", about 2 USD, that it didn't matter). The boxed lunches camps provide for the road was always, always too much food. Usually, the meal consisted of a hard-boiled egg still in the shell, chicken piece wrapped in foil, veggie strips, a sandwich, some type of roll or muffin, peanuts, yogurt, a juice box, a bottle of water. Plenty of food! Oh, and a toothpick. I laughed at first, but ended up using it every time!

We changed our USD to Tanzanian Shillings in Arusha. It was around 1600TZS to 1USD. Got plenty of larger and smaller bills. Used that for everything except our guide's tip, which we used USD. Things are mostly inexpensive, and we had lots left for Zanzibar (excellent shopping there!).

We left 10,000TZS at every accommodation we stayed at. Some of them had a tip box in the “lobby” so that tip is shared equally, plus tip at the bars, or in restaurant. Usually 10-15% like in Canada. It’s hard to judge what is considered decent tip.

Tour operator

Safari Infinity, a company set up in Arusha. We found them on the internet, after having contacted a good dozen other companies. With them, we booked a private semi-luxury safari that was entirely

tailor-made to us, which we paid via wire transfers. We can't say enough good things about them! Everything went like clockwork, from airport transfers to accommodations, thanks to our organizer, Augustine. The organization is amazing, considering everything is done remotely. I know everyone says they had the best guide; but we have to dispel those rumours and say that *we* had the best ever :-) Kelly was patient, experienced, and had a great sense of humour. He comes from a family of safari guides, and it showed. You could ask him anything about any of the animals, birds, or plants, or tribal cultures, and he would explain it all to us. What a gracious host and guide! Plus he's an amazing driver who navigated the bumpy roads like a boss.

We each had a small backpack, about 30-40L, and it was more than enough. It wasn't about the clothes, anyway. We had a mix of long sleeves, pants and t-shirts. For me, I wish I wouldn't have paid so much attention to the "got to be neutral colours, etc, etc" trends. Just wear something comfortable, weather-appropriate, and not too expensive because dust gets everywhere and is hard to hand-wash off. Aside from that, just be comfortable! We spent a good 10-12 hours in the truck every day, getting bounced around and fighting off the tsetse flies. So, comfort is key. It got cool in the mornings (maybe 15-18 Celsius, cooler in the Ngorongoro crater), even for us Canucks. We were glad we had hoodies and long-sleeved shirts. As for shoes, anything comfortable will work. I had hiking shoes and felt a bit warm sometimes. My friend changed into flip flops after a few days and was fine with that, too.

The tsetse loved us, and I got bitten quite a bit. But I get bitten at home and react to mosquitoes, so nothing new there. It burns and itches for a few days, but it's ok. No amount of chemicals or layers of clothing seem to stop them. They got me through the socks and mesh part of my hiking shoes! For after-bite care, I found tea tree oil worked well to take care of the sting/burn/itch. Too bad I broke the glass bottle on the ceramic floor of the Sopa lodge!

If I would have checked things more carefully, I would have known that with an adapter, I would be able to charge my North American Blackberry Playbook in the wall sockets (240v, no problem). So I bought one at one of the lodges (5 USD). But our guide had the mother of all adapters for the 12v outlet in the truck (plus, Safari Infinity vehicles have actual wall outlets/adapters in the back of the truck).

Time of Year

We felt it was perfect. Not too cold, not to warm, not heavy rains and not yet the insane red dust (although there was a fair bit of it, we were told it was nothing compared to July and August). Depending on the time of year, one should pay attention to the animals’ whereabouts. The tour operator suggested certain parts of the parks versus others, and we were glad we listened because we got to see portions of the great migration (Wildebeasts and zebras as far as the eye could see!).

We had a tally of animals we saw, which was great fun to update (my “bush writing” improved every day!). 33 lions, 2 cheetahs, 3 leopards, 3 black rhinos, etc. Exciting!

Zanzibar Portion

Dhow Palace. Just a lovely, lovely place. Friendly and attentive staff. Great location in Stone Town, and with a glorious pool that was kept meticulously clean. Would definitely stay there again.

Found two very nice places: Hot Spot Bistro (free wifi, yay!) and Lazuli. Great food, cool places, affordable.

Stone Town in general

Shopping was great, but the constant harassment of the so-called papasis was just too much. They are *not* easy to ignore, despite what I had read. We were hot and tired and only wanted to walk around town and look at shops, maybe have a bite to eat and buy a few souvenirs. But these men, some of them very pushy, would just suck the fun out of every endeavour. We'd get swarmed if we so much as stopped to look at our map. So we'd go out in the mornings, endure the aggravations, then retreat to our hotel and relax all afternoon, swim in the pool, etc. If we were to do this again, we would skip Zanzibar entirely and stay for a longer safari instead.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread

I am trying to find out how to pin this so that it is always the first on the list, they will probably get back to me later and when they do I will pin this.

State College, Pa
Level Contributor
721 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread

Karl, same approach used on the Uganda forum and really makes it nice.

Thanks for the effort.

Reply to: Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted