We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing-how in the world?

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Packing-how in the world?

I have read many of the posts here about those travelers, regulars particularly, who pack lightly with 1 small duffle for a trip. As I am trying to shove in my last items, I am wondering how in the world they can do that. I pared down the clothes and put half back as Karl suggests, so I mostly have 3 outfits with extra undies, and the weight isn't bad, but then you have all of the extras that are suggested on the packing lists of personal care items, photo/binocular gear, sundries, and other miscellaneous, which all take up space and have weight. Of course, I am also dealing with the 80 pounds in 2 bags of donation items I am lugging, but if some of you can actually get the items you need for the trip in carry-ons within weight limits, I am impressed!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Packing-how in the world?

If you contact the agent you are climbing with, they might be able to tell you what they have or can get to rent for your climb, probably most everything. Then you don't have to take it with you. I would probably have my own shoes to climb in, but would rent most everything else.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Packing-how in the world?

I haven't had good luck with the rental underwear, Karl... so maybe shoes AND underwear - and, of course, the trusty pith helmet...

Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Packing-how in the world?

Oh I was being facetious about the Karl comment. I'm not shortchanging my gear...but I did trim back extra things as I always do before I go on long backpacking trips. From experience, I know that often I drag things into the mountains thinking it will be great to have only to toss it along the trail four days later when my shoulders protest the added weight.

Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Packing-how in the world?

As for renting...ick. I don't care how well you clean something, you're not going to wash 8 days worth of someone elses funk out of it for me to feel comfortable with it - haha. That's just me. No judgements if others rent though. Besides, I'm an avid backpacker so I am certain my gear is superior to the "rental" stuff. I just lament the idea of having to cart it across an ocean.

That being said, I think renting gear might be a great idea for someone who doesn't already own the gear and doesn't foresee themselves using it often after returning from Kili. In that case, I think renting would be a smart idea and probably less headache during the packing stage.

Anyway, I am packed. Zippers are closed and locks are on. What is in there is in there...if anyone is looking for good gear, just follow behind me as I climb. I'm sure I'll be tossing some quality stuff along the way ;)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Packing-how in the world?

Have a great trip, Rhonda!

Well I just packed my carry-on for a "good Samaritan" trip; it's the same one i will use for 32 nights inItaly, and 14 in Africa. But I will not take the included hair dryer to either, one less bathing suit, far less "grooming" supplies, etc. and my bag weighs 23 lbs, or 10 1/2 kg.

so I'm good to go! anywhere. lol

(whew!)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Packing-how in the world?

"fewer" not "less." ugh. the nuns would kill me.

47. Re: Packing-how in the world?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 09, 2014