We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing-how in the world?

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Packing-how in the world?

I have read many of the posts here about those travelers, regulars particularly, who pack lightly with 1 small duffle for a trip. As I am trying to shove in my last items, I am wondering how in the world they can do that. I pared down the clothes and put half back as Karl suggests, so I mostly have 3 outfits with extra undies, and the weight isn't bad, but then you have all of the extras that are suggested on the packing lists of personal care items, photo/binocular gear, sundries, and other miscellaneous, which all take up space and have weight. Of course, I am also dealing with the 80 pounds in 2 bags of donation items I am lugging, but if some of you can actually get the items you need for the trip in carry-ons within weight limits, I am impressed!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing-how in the world?

sciguy feel with you. Never could follow that advise either.

Here is what "Brandt's Guide" everyone's Bible on safaries says on packing:

<You ought to carry at least one change of shirt and undies for each day, plus extra for evening>

We are going to be away from home 27 days. Tell me how you get that much into a carry on?

Fortunately there are 2 of us so have help.

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing-how in the world?

Can you buy things like toothpaste and other grooming products when you arrive?

(Actually, i would love to know this myelf so i can plan for my trip)

We did this when we arrived in Nairobi and it helped a LOT not to worry about packing that stuff

Virginia
Level Contributor
160 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing-how in the world?

I feel your pain! Not only am I packing for a safari but I am also packing for Kili. OMG! It's a nightmare. I whittled my clothes down to almost nothing. I figure if I have clean underwear and socks, the rest can be dirty.

Let's pool our talent and write a packing guide when we return! :)

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing-how in the world?

I'm one who travels everywhere with a carry-on. First I don't look at so called "packing lists". I take what i NEED and only what I need. That is about 3 changes of clothing and some toiletries. That with my telephone and electrical adapters is about it. If I take reading material it's on my ipad. Now, perhaps I know what you don't; and that is if I really need something else, I know where to get it there, and if I can't I go without because I must have not really needed it. My last trip there was for a month and I fit it all into a carry on, and I had to take a lot of things along for work (most of that was stored electronically, or in Dropbox where I can get it in the cloud). Another clue to budget packing, don't start to pack a month ahead of when you are leaving. I do it the night before I catch the airplane. If you start early trinket creep will set in. I traveled a lot on business and I always had two pieces of luggage (which I could carry on then) one held 2-3 suites and shirts and the other fit under the seat and carried all the misc. things; my briefcase held working papers and laptops. And I would go out for a week or two with this, using hotel laundry services if needed. BTW, the first time I went to Africa I carried all the trinkets because I was unaware of what was needed. None of them were and on the second trip they were left behind.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing-how in the world?

That's what I figure-but for the first trip you feel you want it all-just in case-you feel you need to be ready for every situation.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing-how in the world?

Sciguy... and that's what causes trinket creep which you will find that you never need, or at a minimum can get along without. I kind of a minimalist when it comes to travel. Do what you are comfortable with. Someone who has only gone to Tanzania a couple of times doesn't know how minimal they can be, typically. You can typically tell someone who has a lot of travel experience, they are the ones who are not in line at the luggage belt but are heading through passport control and customs after getting off the plane.

Edited: 11:37 am, June 01, 2013
nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing-how in the world?

I sure don't worry about carryon as there is no way I could do that. Even though if only cloths, I always have gifts for drop off once in Tanzania/Kenya and they (dear hearts) always send me home with as much as I left behind... ugh! Can't say no to them.

So have a duffle with my cloths that is checked, then a small carryon with those extras and a small backpack for personal/important items.

None of those bathroom items is larger than travel size, meaning real small... toothpaste or mouthwash, shampoo, conditioner, etc. and last for 3/weeks.

Gather as you have those extra bags with stuff, if you checked another there would be a fee... guess you have to decide what's important, but when considering what this trip is costing 'what's the big deal with an additional charge for a 3rd checked bag?' That with YOUR STUFF!

Either you leave something home or pay for the extra. Certainly nothing I'd be twisting my brain on.

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
771 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing-how in the world?

Trinket Creep...I love the term, and of course, understood it right away...and YES, packing far in advance does actually cause trinket creep! I thought I had packed really well for our trip this past March. 16 days total, 6 of which were in Zanzibar. Still, there were tops I never wore! I had to sports bras I wore for safari, and switched between 2-3 sleeveless tops, with a long sleeve light weight shirt over this for AM. This was the same shirt...a light weight button up that QM seems to like. Mine was actually a "travel" shirt-light weight. Evenings were long pants (that had zip off legs), and long sleeve-due to bugs, not weather. I also got NO bites!!! (I am a bug magnet). But yes, the clothing stuff seems easy to pare down-it's the other crap.

I used the lists I had seen as a guideline, and then really tried to nix all that i could. There was soap and shampoo in almost every place we stayed (tented camps). My bug spray were little spray tubes. Sunscreen was transferred into little "go tubes". Equipment and cords seemed like a lot-I had one pr binos, a PS camera, and tablet. Also one pr sneakers which I left behind, and wore for the flight there. I didn't need all of the batteries for flashlights, etc, that I brought. Just camera batteries that I recharged.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,890 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing-how in the world?

sciguy

I have read all your posts I think 353... you have really planned your trip..I didnt say overplanned. You have the trip exaclty what you want... you tried to fit in as much as you could in the end had to leave stuff out.

Ha ha now my point...put half your stuff back in the wardrobe...take it next trip.

oh by the way I hope you read this.

When are you leaving..

I for one what a "very" detailed report of all the activities you are doing that are not safari related. For me you can forget the animals and concentrate on the "cultural " stuff. You are going places not many others do.

I have followed you planning..changes..worries etc etc so can't wait for you to return and let us know how it all went. Especially since I also ..I think recommended your tour operator ...Shidolya..in any event this post is half in jest..have a great trip.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing-how in the world?

Thanks for the well-wishes, and yes, I went with your recommendation-so it's all on you, just kidding. Thanks for the Lolkisale suggestions-I am excited about that, and really want to get the feel of the people and culture, so I will certainly give reviews on all I do.

Just an aside. It is a strange animal, these forums. We chat with others and get to know them from their comments or sense of humor, yet often don't know their names, and are then, stuck on using our imagination to fill in information on their lives, occupations, and certainly their looks. I wonder how close real appearances come to my imagination? Just musing.

I will try to keep up my blog during the trip, so feel free to check in, but it may not get done until later, depending on internet access and time. It is found at:

http://sciguy250.blogspot.com/