We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roy's safaris Ltd.

Upton, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
13 posts
Roy's safaris Ltd.

I am doing some research on safaris to Tanzania and would like some input from "experienced" tavellers or local people.

I would like to send my son and fiance on an unforgettable honeymoon(10-12 days-land trip) to Tanzania in Jan 2007. While looking at different Co's, I found that the prices ranges enormously.

I found the a local Co. Roy Safaris from Arusha which seemed pretty reasonable.

Has anyone heard about this Company, are they reputable???

Booking from the US and not really being able to find out too much is a little scary, please HELP!

Thanks

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
537 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Roy's safaris Ltd.

I am sure you will get lots of response on Roy's. From what I have read here it is a reputable company that has been around for a while. You could do a trip advisor search on Roy's Safari's as well. I understand it is one of the lower priced ones.

Upton, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
13 posts
2. Re: Roy's safaris Ltd.

Thanks Sportsmum.

What I found on the internet sounds all pretty good but I am looking for people who have travelled with that outfitter and have past experiences with them.

When you spend thousands of dollars, you better get something good for it, right?

Especially in a country far away and also because it is their Honeymoon.

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
537 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Roy's safaris Ltd.

Try a Trip advisor search. Right above where your post is you can search in the forums. You may find a post where someone has travelled with them. I am surprised no one has responded yet.

Upton, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
13 posts
4. Re: Roy's safaris Ltd.

Followed your advice, that was great info!

I have already received quotes from Roy's Safaris, I was just a little nervous, that's all.

Now I'm going to email more of the recommended operators.

Like Karl's comments very much!

Thanks Karl!

Findlay, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Roy's safaris Ltd.

Karibu dutchy... you're welcome. I hope they have a good time. I didn't comment because I've never used Roy; but I do know they've been around for a long time and are a reputable company. It is scary doing this from such a distance, but the good thing is that most operators are honest, reputable people that want you to have a good time and enjoy their country (and they want to make some money also, of course). And Tanzanians are the most hospitable people that I've ever met.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Roy's safaris Ltd.

Not sure if you've booked the Safari yet or not but I recently went this past Christmas and I too was searching for an economical trip. I went with a local company called Kibo Safaris and had a great time. See most of the operators here in the States are just middle men. They book with a local operator there and usually as most do not have their own operations there. I choose to go straight to the horses mouth and looked for a local own and operated company. I was nervous at first as I could not get much feed back on them but took a chance anyway. Kibo did a 12 day safari and we mixed it up with some budget camping and some luxury camping as well as a lodge stay. We really got a good idea of the different ways to go on Safari. Our guide Karachi was excellent. They own their own vehicles and maintain them well. I saw the other companies and their vehicles out on Safari and some were pretty bad. Good Luck and I hope it turns out to be a trip of a life time. I know ours was. PS I have heard good things about Roys as well.

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
537 posts
51 reviews
7. Re: Roy's safaris Ltd.

Where did you stay, what did you pay? Would be great info for comparrisons although I understand if you don't want to answer! 12 days is about what we are looking at too.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Roy's safaris Ltd.

Dear Sportsmum; We did Tanzania only and did what Kibo Safaris calls their Wildlife and Wildnerness Safari. It's a round robin of what they call the Nortnern Circut and you get a little of everything in. We started in Arusha where Kibos based. They also own and operate a few of the properties which is nice and sometimes can cut the costs. We visited Tarangire Nat'l Park, Lake Eyasi (can only be accessed in certain months), visited two bushmen tribes. One namadic and one semi-nomadic, it was a great hightlght. Then onto Ngorongoro Crater and natural beauty. Then 4 days in the Serengeti. We flew out back to Arusha then on to Zanzibar which I did on my own. We did a private safari, so that meant just my husband and I and the guide. When we were in the Serengeti we had a camp crew of 4 plus our guide just for the two of us. That was very special as we spent Christmas with them there. You will pay a bit more for a private safari but I wanted no outsiders with us. I really wanted to dive into the culture and be surrounded by it 24/7 and not with someone from my home town. All that being said I think it was around $6,000.00. We paid a bit more for the flights on top of that to fly out of the Serengeti but it was worth it.

Look for the tour you want then email them directly and just ask what the best deal they can do for you. Here is their web site http://www.kibo-safaris.com/mainframe.htm And here is their email mail@kibo-safaris.com. The sales manager there is Josiah and he's usually very responsive with the email request. Let me know if there is anything else I can answer. I love Africa and I hope to go back soon.

Upton, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
13 posts
9. Re: Roy's safaris Ltd.

OK, Guys, it has been a while but I thought I would get back to this subject and update you about my research incase it would anybody out there.

I am almost ready to book with Access2Africa, they seem to have the best price I could find for now for the itinerary I like for my son's Honeymoon:

Arrive at night in Arusha-(Moivaro Cofee Plantation)

1.5 day-Tarangire(Tarangire River Camp)+0.5 day Manyara Nat Park-Kirurumu Tented Lodge

2 days Ngorongoro Crater-Ngorongoro Serena Lodge+Circle Hike +visit to Boma(Maasai)

3 days Serengeti-1 nght Serengeti Tented Camp+2 nghts Serena Lodge+Night Game Drive+Hot Air Balloon+Olduvai Gorge

0.5 Game drive

Flight from Serengeti to Zanzibar

3 days-Pongwe Beach Hotel+transfer to Airport

I had to wait for the 2007 prices.....Booking is for Jan2nd probably.

This will be a "Private" safari by the way and I think it sounds pretty good, want to go myself..

The total they are charging for this including the Hot Air balloon flight is $3780.- per person

Any thoughts???

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Roy's safaris Ltd.

Dear Dutchy13. Your trip you listed sounds good. It's got a bit of everything in it which will make it very memorable. I think that is a great price as well for all of that. I haven't heard of Access2Africa before and couldn't locate them on the web. Do you have their address, I would like to look them up. Thanks and good Luck