We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggested itinerary for the Southern Circuit?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Suggested itinerary for the Southern Circuit?

So we are not even home from TZ two weeks--I haven't even finished my trip report--and we are seriously talking about the next trip to do the south in 2014. Even DH brought it up last night at dinner--I almost fell under the table, as he NEVER wants to think about vacations this far ahead!

But I need some input to even start thinking about it. Hypothetically speaking... if we were to have 10-12 days, what would be a good itinerary for Selous and Ruaha? Including travel time from Arusha (or do we need to get to Dar? Are there flights from Arusha?) Either way I imagine we'd need to spend night 1 in either Arusha or Dar before flying out--although hopefully not on the way back.

This would most likely be in July or August 2014. As many of you know, we are birders and would like to get the migrants but that means rainy season (December, maybe over Christmas), not sure I'm wanting to chance that. Would love to push it to about October which might be the best of both worlds.. but that's a very hard time for hubby to get off work.

Would August be better than July in terms of general wildlife?

How to break it up? Should we stay more nights in Selous or in Ruaha? Should we stay at more than one location in each? I'm not really getting a handle on how long it takes to get from place to place, or how different habitats are within each reserve. Three nights in one, four in the other? Then there are extra nights to fill...although we might, might, might try to add on the Usambaras (for new birds) but that might drive the cost up too much. Anyway I'm putting that aside for the moment and focusing on the south.

We'd be looking at mid-priced camps. Without delving too deeply, I'm liking the looks of the Selous Impala...they have a lot of birding info on their website and claim to have expert birding guides. Their Kwihala Camp in Ruaha says they offer night drives and walking safaris which is a plus. But I really have no ideas on what these camps cost as they give no prices...I'm assuming they are mid-range.

Also, which tour operators deal with/specialize in the south? We used Roy Safari for our recent trip and would happily use them again, but perhaps there are more specialized agencies for that area.

I am eager to get suggestions from the experts here, many of whom I know have been to the southern parks. Thanks!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,132 posts
Save Reply
61. Re: Suggested itinerary for the Southern Circuit?

QM I am with you on at least one point... Uganda sounds good to me as well.

One of the interesting things about Ruaha River Lodge even though it is stones and canvass. The elephants are always there and so many times I couldn't get to my "room" because they were blocking the paths and walking up the steps to one of the dining rooms. I guess it was being right on the river.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Suggested itinerary for the Southern Circuit?

>>Strangely it must be the birds. Enjoyed Ecuador for the adventure of reliving a childhood book "Amazon Adventure" set on the Napo.

But a distinct lack of Elephants drove me back to the arms of my first love.<<

Yes indeed Mfuwe, sadly there are no elephants in Ecuador. :( But the birds--and their variety--are rather astounding!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,076 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Suggested itinerary for the Southern Circuit?

So this is where I will admit that Galapagos Islands has been on my bucket list since ten years of age...and the Amazon from the same time. Then deferred while waiting for my friend to make up her mind 'when'. In the meantime, I thought Serengeti would be 'nice'. Little did I know. Not until September when I came out of the closet and admitted to being a birder, did I even contemplate taking binoculars to Ecuador. So my two week plan has become a four week plan so I can slow down and see the feathers, and, well, take in some markets and actually leave days unplanned for impulsive travel. Tanzania has been a bigger influence and change in my:-)life that I would ever have guessed eighteen months ago.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,637 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Suggested itinerary for the Southern Circuit?

Spoken like a true convert QM. TZ (and African) does that to folks.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Suggested itinerary for the Southern Circuit?

I'm revisiting this thread as now that I am back from my Ecuador trip its time to start planning the next big one :) Still musing over the best way to do Southern TZ. I believe DePere is at this moment doing his overland trip and I am eager to hear his report on his return.

I'm still undecided as to land vs fly-in. If I had my druthers, what I'd like best is to fly into Selous, stay about 6 nights at two camps, drive to Ruaha with stops (3-4 nights?), then four nights in Ruaha. But it may come down to price and the ability to get a good guide to do such a thing.

Meantime I've now written to Adventure Camps, Tanzaniza Adventure (the company DePere is using) and Roy's (because of my past experience with them) with preliminary inquiries.

Can anyone recommend any other specific tour operators that can do a package of the south circuit?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Suggested itinerary for the Southern Circuit?

We were recommended http://tatancasafaris.co.tz/ and War but we haven't used them, so you will have to look for more references. They are based in Iringa and specialize in the southern circuit.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,132 posts
Save Reply
67. Re: Suggested itinerary for the Southern Circuit?

Foxes Tours who also own a few camps and lodges as well.

Kearsleys Travel and Tours based in Dar would also be worth a email.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
333 posts
Save Reply
68. Re: Suggested itinerary for the Southern Circuit?

Tatanca have put together an itinerary for us, taking in Udzungwa, Mikumi, Iringa, Kitulo & Lake Nyasa and Mbeya in Feb 2015. very easy to talk with via email & good pricing. They are based in Iringa and seem to do the "usual" and the more "unusual' as well. Might be worth contacting, to get you from Selous to Ruaha by road if you want to fly in and fly out.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
728 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Suggested itinerary for the Southern Circuit?

Thanks habariz, Cynthia and NoExpert...looks like Tatanca is worth checking into and maybe Kearsleys as well.

Wow, already booking Feb 2015--I thought I was planning far ahead ;)

70. Re: Suggested itinerary for the Southern Circuit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 31, 2014