We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

special campsites in serengeti

Salem, India
14 posts
Save Topic
special campsites in serengeti

Hi folks... am planning to visit Serengeti and the Mara late June this year. I'm on self drive and I intend to spend the nights outdoor with the vehicle and tents at the special campsites. Kindly can anybody advice on the rules and regulations of these two places.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,189 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: special campsites in serengeti

The National Park website will become your friend. All these details are on the website, or email them for these specifics. Few do selfdrive in Tanzania, so these arrangements are typically arranged by tour operators. In fact, you may want to request an operator to assist with these bookings.

If not, here is a start

tanzaniaparks.com/…serengeti

I note you say that you are doing a self drive in Serengeti and Mara. Are you using a personal vehicle? If not, you might want to confirm whether you can take a rental tour vehicle across the border or not.

As most animals in the Serengeti Plains are in the Tanzania side, I would suggest just staying in Tanzania and not trying to deal with the border crossings and such complications.

Edited: 2:36 pm, February 12, 2013
Salem, India
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: special campsites in serengeti

thank you sir ..for the advice. I will try to mail them for the special campsite bookings.

Are these campsites fenced ? and is it possible for animal encounters during the night ?? I am looking forward to these kind of experiences.

Can you also suggest a good and reliable 4X4 car hire company ?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,189 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: special campsites in serengeti

No, there are no fences and yes, there can be animal encounters.

There are a number of recent posts on self driving in Tanzania. I think perhaps you should read them so that you understand what you are getting yourself into. You will need a GPS, complete understanding on how to change tires and handle the vehicle if an elephant or other large animal charges it. It is not like a self drive in South Africa which is typically on tarmac/paved roads. Tanzania is very wild, and very hard on vehicle and driver.

You can rent a Land Cruiser, or you can actually arrange a Cruiser that has a tent on the roof. I know, sounds sort of strange, but functional. You can find the companies that rent these on the searched posts.

Above your post is a small green box for making Searches. In there, type 'self drive' or 'car hire' (without the quotes) and start do read the posts. Please note that they are sorted by 'relevance' but you can change it to 'date' sort to get the most current information. After reading about the challenges, then read the list of frequently asked questions, on the right of this screen.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: special campsites in serengeti

By doing self drive and arranging ALL on your own, know that besides fees for the special campsites, you will have to pay daily park fees, know where petrol stations located and lots of 'other' stuff. It's doable, but lots of research on all details is required on your part before even considering such an adventure.

Salem, India
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: special campsites in serengeti

Thanx for the advice...like you said I will do some more research before I travel.

Do we have to pay the park fees all at once for the whole week ?? How is it done ? We are 4 or 5 people traveling with one vehicle.

How do I make an advance booking for the special campsites ?

Edited: 3:41 am, February 13, 2013
Salem, India
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: special campsites in serengeti

Can anyone advice how to reserve the special campsites in serengeti and ngorongoro ? I really don't have a clue....tanapa doesn't really help.

I'm travelling in the first week of June this year.

Can I pay the vehicle fee and the park entry fee all at once ?

Kindly advice.

7. Re: special campsites in serengeti

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 23, 2014