We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If nature calls???

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Topic
If nature calls???

This is probably a very strange question but has been on my mind. What happens if you're on a game drive in the middle of nowhere and nature calls? I have a touch of IBS and sometimes "holding it" is not an option.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If nature calls???

Well, many drivers are sensitive to making frequent convenience stops, but you are in the middle of nowhere, and even bushes can be hard to find. Usually the need is a pee break thanks to that morning coffee and the bouncing jeeps. That is just done right at the back of the jeep, however, in your situation, I expect a bush or such would feel better. If there is a more common time (and I expect not, given the nature of the situation) you can ask to schedule things near a stop, or ask him to stop whenever there is a convenience available.

Know that it is illegal to leave any trash around a National Park, so I would go prepared with a plastic bag of necessities, including small bags for removal of all paper products. In Girl Guides we learned a nifty thing... take the core out of a mostly used TP roll, then run a string through it. This can be tied and hung around your neck for convenience as not all of us have pockets to stuff tissues into, or are the toilets always clean and dry to place your tp roll onto. Never travel without sufficient paper for the day (or trip). They don't use it there in common practice, and what is there sure isn't your Charmin soft type.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If nature calls???

Unless you're near dangerous animals, it's usually easy enough to just stop along the road and do what needs to be done behind the vehicle, with appropriate eye-averting by your guide and fellow passengers. Many people carry packets of tissue for just such "emergencies," and a small plastic bag for temporary storage of used tissues.

In the smaller parks, there are restroom facilities -- but often at a considerable distance, so it would depend upon how quickly after the urge arises you would need relief, as to whether or not reaching a restroom at the convenient time would be possible.

Way easier for the guys than for the gals, of course. And, if you anticipate the behind-the-vehicle solution, wearing a skirt simplifies the process for us chickies. ;-)

nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: If nature calls???

Ditto the above.

Not unusual for your guide to stop vehicle explaining "gotta check the rear tire" meaning, he's taking his potty stop.

Whenever you can, wherever you are... stop at a loo before moving on. And watch the amount of liquids and other foods you put in your system, which I'm sure you know what might kick off your tummy.

Edited: 1:25 pm, December 30, 2012
nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: If nature calls???

Agree with sandyleelee - skirts that are loose fitting are best for bush stops.

Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: If nature calls???

All great advice! Thanks!

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If nature calls???

At the risk of lowering the tone, a re-sealable packet of moist toilet tissue and some dog poop bags are the friend of any traveller with a delicate constitution I find.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If nature calls???

ID, I was alluding to something similar, but I think you got to the seat of the problem.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If nature calls???

LOL, Quiltingmama

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If nature calls???

Our guide brought us to a proper toilet about once every 3 hours in the Serengeti and I found that bearable. Try to drink in small sips instead of gulping water down at once. Warm is also better than cold for bladder management. Follw all the usual advice about limiting diuretics like tea, coffee, etc.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If nature calls???

IBS is a little more complicated and the best laid plans may not help in this situation, so a personal 'kit' will give you a feeling of some control. It won't be easy to discuss with your driver - if further explanation is required, but maybe you can write something out and translate it using Google Translate. They tend to be a very modest society, particularly discussions between the sexes.