We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masek Under Canvas Tented Camp (not Lake Masek Tented Camp)

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Masek Under Canvas Tented Camp (not Lake Masek Tented Camp)

I booked a room in Feb for two nights. Did anyone stay there before? How is it? Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

tanganyikawildernesscamps.com/camps/…

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Masek Under Canvas Tented Camp (not Lake Masek Tented Camp)

Lasek Masek Tented Camp and Masek Under Canvas are run by the same company and the price is also the same. I'm wondering how good/bad the canvas camp is.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,231 posts
155 reviews
2. Re: Masek Under Canvas Tented Camp (not Lake Masek Tented Camp)

The Under Canvas is quite new and not much discussed here - most likely due to the price. I have stayed in several of the company's accommodations and they are always very good. I was surprised at the cost of the Under Canvas. For that cost at the Tented Camp, you get things like double sinks, blow dryer, even a bath tub(these are rare in Tanzania, let alone on safari). It is definitely a step above their other lodges and camps. It certainly looks like their Under Canvas camps and the new Karatu lodge are aiming to a different higher end clientelle.

So after all that, I can't compare value of the Under Canvas, but I can vouch for the reputation, service and comfort of this company's accommodations.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
3. Re: Masek Under Canvas Tented Camp (not Lake Masek Tented Camp)

As above Lake Masek Under Canvas is relatively new. Rack rates as shown on their site is a bit lower than Lake Masek Camp.

The Under Canvas has less tents, and not as luxe as the Lake Masek Camp. Besides the tub (which seems to becoming de riguer at many of the newer properties, though can be dangerous if one is not familier getting into claw-footed ones... there are no grab-bars), can be found at Lake Masek, which also has outdoor showers (nice in the hot weather you don't even need a towel to dry off). This camp also has a rather nice outdoor sitting area... it's screened in, so if wanting to sit out in the evening, are protected from the mossies and the tents provide a bit more privacy vs those at Under Canvas which from the photos appear relatively close to one another.

Otherwise, I'd consider either during this peak travel period especially if they have space for you.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Masek Under Canvas Tented Camp (not Lake Masek Tented Camp)

Thanks for advices above.

5. Re: Masek Under Canvas Tented Camp (not Lake Masek Tented Camp)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, December 17, 2013