We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does "non commissionable rate" mean?

Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
What does "non commissionable rate" mean?

Hi there! I was quoted for a safari, directly through the operator, and they made a point to say that the quote is NET and NON Commissionable. What does this mean? Will I be charged some hidden fee?

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: What does "non commissionable rate" mean?

It should mean that a travel agent can not sell the safari and expect to get a commission on it.

There are Rack Rates - These are typically commissionable, meaning that if a travel agent sells something at Rack, they will expect to get a commission.

Net Rates are typically the rates that a tour operator or travel agent will pay for something. The difference between Net Rate and Rack Rate is considered to the be the commission. This terminology, as I understand it, is fairly common throughout the travel industry: accommodations, cruises, transportation, etc. However, it's usually used among travel professionals, not between customers and travel professionals.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,234 posts
155 reviews
2. Re: What does "non commissionable rate" mean?

There would be no hidden fee. The NON commissionable rate means that if booked by a travel agent, there would be no commission. This is to your benefit.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
138 reviews
3. Re: What does "non commissionable rate" mean?

Might be wise to ask the TO what THEY mean as your contract will be with them...

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
4. Re: What does "non commissionable rate" mean?

Agree with IAB, have the outfitter clarify this.

Ohio
Level Contributor
29 posts
5. Re: What does "non commissionable rate" mean?

Thanks for the input.

I do agree it's strange that they are using that language with me, when I'm the client and not an agent. I have an email in to them to find out exactly what they mean. I wonder if it means non-negotiable in this case?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: What does "non commissionable rate" mean?

It could be they were just trying to tell you that their price includes no extra fees, such as commissions or other add-ons. Who knows!? Best to simply ask what your bottom line price is and then make the decision as to whether the trip is designed to your liking and the price seems reasonable. Good luck with your planning.

Edited: 8:52 am, February 19, 2012
7. Re: What does "non commissionable rate" mean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:28 am, June 03, 2013