We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doxycycline or Malarone?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Doxycycline or Malarone?

I know this has been asked and discussed a lot. But I can't decide between the 2. We went to a travel clinic and they said either is effective. Even with the generic brand available, Malarone is still $180 compared to $10 for Doxy. Worth the difference?

I'm very fair so am a bit afraid of the Doxy in the sun - although I'll use sunscreen and long sleeves. But the other possible side effect for women is definitely not something I want to deal with.... but $10 vs. $180? That's a huge difference.

Your thoughts?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doxycycline or Malarone?

I use Larium (Mefloquine). Just got a prescription filled on this and on my prescription plan it was $15. That's the only thing which I've used for the past 18 years now and never any problems (for me).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,317 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doxycycline or Malarone?

Malarone for me. I'm volunteering and have long walks to the village and back - Doxy won't cut it. Mefloquine has insomnia side effect potential and I have trouble with that on Malarone so that isn't an option either. If you take the Malarone, be sure to take in the morning. I was just at the clinic an hour ago. We reviewed the three meds. When discussing, they gave the side effects of Doxy and Mefloquine and none were listed for Malarone - that was my decision breaker. Yes, I have some insomnia with it, but no other effects.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doxycycline or Malarone?

At $180 a toot I would not sleep at night either. I am with the Mzee on Larium and sleep like a top.

I would avoid Doxy too despite the price. It is an antibiotic and I like to keep my Gut Bacteria alive and kicking to do their job.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doxycycline or Malarone?

They did not give Lariam as a choice. I'm not sure why, but it was crossed off our list. The only 2 they would subscribe at the travel clinic were Malarone and Doxy so I would have to decide between these 2.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,317 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doxycycline or Malarone?

Price wasn't the insomnia factor for me....my insurance covers it. Lariam is not always as accepted at treatment this side of the pond. There may have been some other medical reasons that it wouldn't be considered for you sealonsf

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Doxycycline or Malarone?

I'm a Malarone gal, though have used Lariam on some trips. Both are covered by insurance, not in full, but with co-pay. If you have a drug plan thru a company plan, even if under Medicare, both are covered somewhat. No side-effects from either.

As I recall you are 2/pp traveling, for about 2/weeks... then $90/person retail for Malarone is a good deal. Often it can be well over $120/pp. Check around, even at a Costco, who seems to have best prices.

Good luck.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doxycycline or Malarone?

>>>But the other possible side effect for women is definitely not something I want to deal with.<<< along with

>>>It is an antibiotic and I like to keep my Gut Bacteria alive and kicking to do their job.<<<

. . . was reason enough for me to go the Malarone route for my trip to E Africa.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doxycycline or Malarone?

<<I'm not sure why, but it was crossed off our list.>>

Well of course it may well have been something on your health record that showed you as vulnerable with Larium.

On the other hand.......(fill in the blanks)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Doxycycline or Malarone?

Their decision not to offer Larium definitely was not anything in our medical history - for one thing, they pretty much had no clue what our medical history was. We are gone for almost three weeks so the cost will be around $180 for malarone generic -- plan to go to Costco. And no, our insurance will NOT cover any of it - checked that first thing. We walked out of the health clinic $465 poorer and that was just for 1 shot for me and 3 for my husband.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
717 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doxycycline or Malarone?

A vote for Doxycycline. My spouse and I have always taken Doxy (Brazil, Amazon rainforest; also in South Africa/Kruger) and have never had any side effects. I also took a course once when I had suspected Lyme disease. Its cheap, and effective, and works for us. Never had any problems with the sun (and you would/should be mostly covered up anyway.) Of course, different drugs effect people differently, so your mileage may vary. But when we go to Tanzania it will be Doxy for us.