We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania Safari Average cost

Seattle
Level Contributor
40 posts
26 reviews
Tanzania Safari Average cost

Based on my read in TripAdvisor, the recommended average cost per person per day is about US$350. What are the accommodations in this price range? (Serena or Sopa?)

I have a quote from Bush 2 Beach which included places from Lemala (Serengeti & Ngorongoro), Asilia’s Oliver’s and Sayari, Onsea House in Arusha, Ndarakwai Camp, Kirurumu, and Plantation Lodge. The itinerary averages to $540. BTW, this is a 17-day for September 2011.

Good Earth Tours 8-day itinerary averages to $625, at places like Lemala and Migration Camp. goodearthtours.com/Tanzania/Itineraries/T1Ta…

Both these are guided road tour.

What is a good yardstick to determine a reasonable price, even at a “luxury” camp? Number of tents/lodges? The rack rate? I have used www.tanzaniaodyssey.com “paw” rating and their review as a reference. Any other help is greatly appreciated.

Canberra
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Tanzania Safari Average cost

I went with Eastco after much research. Why don't you drop them a line. We stayed at Boundary Hill Lodge it was first class and then the Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge. This lodge had great views but failed us in another area. We also camped in a private campsite. I think you will find Simon at Eastco is very responsive and will give you a good price. Our package included 2 adults and our children and it was not one of the cheapest but in the middle price range. It worked out around $340 per adult for the trip and $160 for each child. We had a private tour and our family obviously was the only ones in the Land Rover

I did post reviews if you are interested.

Jim

Edited: 9:47 pm, June 24, 2010
Nairobi, Kenya
10 posts
2. Re: Tanzania Safari Average cost

Hi,

lodge safari or comping safari its depends number of people, if you are more than 3 the price to be cheaper like $ 250 per person, find this person alltoafricasafari@gmail.com his working at TANGANYIKA TRAVELS in tanzania

thanks

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,091 posts
3. Re: Tanzania Safari Average cost

Lariet3000

Hi

I just checked out the website of Tanzanian odyssey. not only are their prices way over the top but so are some of their ratings.

I don't think they are the experts they claim to be. Rememebr they are an overseas UK based agent who make their money on commission selling safaris. They don't own vehicles. A company like leopard tours owns vehicles and makes most of it money that way. Overseas agents make money selling you lodges and camps at a very much inflated price. They pay a Tanzanian operator like leopard tours to do the safari and in most cases lodge bookings for them. Some overseas agents book the lodges themselves this then will maximise the profits on any particular trip they sell.

It is far better to book with a Tanzanian tour operator based in Tanzania and one who owns vehicles, tents, trucks, camps, lodges etc there.

For example if I were to book a safari with a local operator I would expect to pay the following price for some of the lodges/camps.

This is designed to give you and others an idea of costs and what you can save if booked with a Tz. tour operator.

Remember park fees are $ 50 pppday in most parks.

Special camp fees are $ 50 per adult per day.

Public camp fees are between $15 and $ 20 pppday.

The cost of the vehicle is between $ 200 and $ 250 for the group per day. Some companies go up to $ 300 per day for the group. Others less.

from the Odyssey website column A

Column B is what you can expect or should get from a reputable local operator.

Column A Column B

Serenegti Sopa $650 $250

Kirawira $850 $400

Mbuzi Mawe $700 $300

Mbalageti $700 $500

Serengeti Serena $650 $270

Kikoti $650 $240

Tarangire Sopa $650 $240

Migration Camp $895 $550

Treetops $1000 $500

Ndutu safari lodge$650 $240

Boundary Hill ------- $200

Tarangire safari ------- $ 170

Rhotia valley tented camp $130

Manor at Karatu ------- $550

Wildlife lodges ------- $180

Edited: 4:51 am, June 25, 2010
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
4. Re: Tanzania Safari Average cost

Even "noexpert" rates (Col.B) can be off, as all outfitters get different contract rates, often for the same properties.

That said, with the list of camps you show most of which are in the "lux" category, and as traveling in September which is at "peak" season rates, an average daily cost would be in the range of $450-$600/person/nt including room/tent, meals, park fees, most beverages, game drives, guide/vehicle and or internal flights, taxes. Thus the prices quoted by Bush2Beach and/or Good Earth aren't off!

Of course, there are mid-priced properties, which you can choose and keep more in line with your budget, i.e., an "all Serena or Sopa" properties itinerary, with maybe a few mid-range tented camps included.

Another place for savings, if more than 2/paxs, and if a driving safari, the cost of guide/vehicle comes down with more paxs, i.e., if 3 or 4, but room rates remain the same unless there's a single supplement for anyone in your group.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,091 posts
5. Re: Tanzania Safari Average cost

those rates I suggested probably are off a bit as different operators also have a different markup on the "nett" rate. I was trying to highlight the cost difference with the Odyssey prices which I think are over the top and with what I would expect a good local operator to charge. They are just a guesstamate.

6. Re: Tanzania Safari Average cost

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 23, 2010