We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparison of Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana Safaris

Colorado
Level Contributor
250 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Comparison of Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana Safaris

Any pros or cons between the above areas for deciding which region to go on a 5-6 day wildlife safari?...want a private game reserve but can't afford super luxury...spending 6 days in egypt first and planning to follow up with 5-day beach vacation (pros and cons on SA vs Tanzania beaches?)..why do some pick one location over another?...know this is a WAY broad question...just looking for some sort of starting point...thanks, ana

Mentioned in this post
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparison of Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana Safaris

Ana... You don't say what time of the year you will be there, and that makes a difference.

I wouldn't compare Tanzania with South Africa, there are vast differences. I will say that Tanzania has a wide variety of animals and a very good quality of animals to view. They have the great migration which consists of several million migrating wildebeests, zebra, buffalo, along with the ever present predators. They have large herds of elephants and giraffe.

You will not be on private game reserves in Tanzania, unless you want to hunt. All the national parks are open to everyone and these include in the North, Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, and the Serengeti (along with several other smaller parks); and in the South Selous, Ruaha, and Mikumi.

Most people that go to Tz do a private safari and these can range from basic camping accommodations, to luxury lodges.

For beaches there's the islands of Zanzibar, and the coastline around Tanga and Dar es Salaam.

Give us a little more information so that we don't need to be so general.

Mentioned in this post
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Lake Manyara
Lake Manyara
197 Reviews
Lake Manyara National Park, Tanzania
Ngorongoro Crater
Ngorongoro Crater
3,450 Reviews
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania
Selous Game Reserve
Selous Game Reserve
Lindi Region, Tanzania
Ruaha National Park
Ruaha National Park
Iringa Region, Tanzania
Mikumi National Park
Mikumi National Park
Morogoro Region, Tanzania
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Tanga
Tanga
Tanga Region, Tanzania
Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparison of Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana Safaris

Botswana is one of the most costly places to take a safari, is it not? My research has taught me that unless you have the big $$ to spend then Botswana is difficult to do.

Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparison of Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana Safaris

oh, with that said... Botswana would be the ultimate destination in my opinion. I wouldn't hesitate to go there if money was not an issue!

3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparison of Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana Safaris

AnaEvergreen there is a big difference between Tanzania and South Africa,in Tanzania there is no private game reserve like SA,in Tanzania there is a lot of animals and nice beaches like Zanzibar and Bagamoyo,for my advice you better find the local Tanzania tour operator they will help you with more information,try this agents they might help you www.omongwetravel.com

Mentioned in this post
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Bagamoyo
Bagamoyo
Pwani Region, Tanzania
5. Re: Comparison of Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana Safaris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:44 am, November 04, 2009