We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malarone Vs Lariam

c2watkins
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Malarone Vs Lariam

Hi all,

Going to Tanzania in Feb and our GP has advised that we either go with Malarone or Lariam malaria tablets.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either. I've been reading up a bit and I've heard some stories of Lariam giving people terrible dreams and sleepless nights - has anyone experienced this? Malarone seems to be quite sideeffect free but the price is putting me off somewhat £2.20 a tablet is not going to be cheap for us both for just over two weeks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Carolyn

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,604 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Malarone Vs Lariam

"it affected my rational thinking and my sanity!"

No I would not blame Larium for that Brian.

You are who you are. LoL.

Twin Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
718 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Malarone Vs Lariam

Hmm maybe I should say Ive been on Larium-it would excuse some of my behavioral quirks lol!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Malarone Vs Lariam

I am right now sitting in an Internet Cafe in Dodoma Tz. When I saw this question "what do locals take" I turned to the person (a local Tanzanian) sitting beside me and asked him what he took to avoid malaria. He told me that he took nothing. I also then asked if he knew of anyone taking anti malaria medications, he said they don't take anything until they get sick.

I can tell you from experience that if you get sick with malaria in the US many physicians don't know what to do for you, but might refer you, if they recognize that it's malaria. I can also tell you from my experiences with those who have malaria, that you don't want to get this. I can kill, and does at times. I know of one instance when a person came back from a short trip to Tz and died of malaria.

If you take a chance on this then you are taking a chance on a stick of dynamite. It may go off, or it may not. Personally I don't take those kinds of chances (whatever my ideology), thus, I am currently on Larium.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,604 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Malarone Vs Lariam

Hey! Bwana Mkubwa. Habari?

So you got there OK? good news. (You gotta read that review on Manyara it wil cheer you up even more than sitting back in TZ.)

Back on topic. You answer question so well.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Malarone Vs Lariam

Bwana Mfuwe... Still sitting in the Internet Cafe. Been travelling out in the bush quite a bit, staying in the villages with people I don't know (that's Tz hospitality for you). Even fell off the wagon and drink a Kili now and then. Trying to get all my internet work done before I get back to my other work.

Why should we ever get "on topic?"

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,604 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Malarone Vs Lariam

On Topic, On Tonic. Off waggon. Who cares what us old Mzees do?

Keep well.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
958 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Malarone Vs Lariam

It's good to see you are doing well Karl. Have another Kili! Ofa yangu, heri!

(I think that is Swahili for it's on me, cheers!)

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Malarone Vs Lariam

Irongrl... I'll tell the barkeep to save the tab for you (we'll see if that flies, or I do out the door). If that won't work I'll tell them to save the tab for Bwana Mfuwe, surely that will.

Going to be here in sleepy old Dodoma (although it's not so sleepy anymore) for another day, then I'll be going up to Singida for the weekend and returning to Dodoma on Monday; leaving Tuesday for Mpwapwa and Kibakwe to stay in the bush for a couple more days. Then sadly returning to Dar to catch my flight home.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,604 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Malarone Vs Lariam

Yeah, charge it to me Karl. Everyone knows me in Dodoma.

Sorry to hear you are having to leave town already. They caught up with you after all?

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
119 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Malarone Vs Lariam

thanks to everyone

i am going through the same decisions as we will be leaving for s. africa, zimbawe, botswana and namibia in three weeks. i think we have decided on malarone. had almost decided not to take anything until i read these post. one more thing, we will certainly want to imbide in a little wine or beer does this exacerbate the problem?

kjhk