We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting to Plan trip to Tanzania

Merrimack, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Starting to Plan trip to Tanzania

Hi Everyone, I have been absent from the Board for several months as I had to put all my efforts into a Hawaii trip that my hubbie and I just took. It was wonderful! We had a fabulous time and now I am ready to think about Africa again! My girlfriend and I are planning a trip next August (she will be 51 and I will be 60) We are thinking about a 5-6 day safari, 1-2 days in Dar,2-3 days in Arusha and 2-3 days in Zanazibar. We need lots of information. First things first:

1) What will we need for shots and how soon to we have to get them?

2) Does anyone know anything about flights from the East Coast (US)--probablyf leaving from Boston?

I will start throwing out other questions later as not to overwhelm. Many many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Dar Es Salaam Intl Airport
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Atlanta
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starting to Plan trip to Tanzania

I just returned a few weeks ago and the British Air flight from Atlanta - London - Dar was great! You can catch a similar flight from Boston or NY. ( Kennedy or Newark, NJ) I don't love flying and wanted the least number of stops - - "just one" and the layover was approximately the half-way spot.

We went to a travel clinic about 6-8 weeks before we left and received our shots at that time.

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starting to Plan trip to Tanzania

Nh. this is what Karl told you in March...

<"Hew Hampshire... If you get your tickets on NorthWest you will fly direct from the East coast into Amsterdam, and they have typically good timing for the connecting flights on KLM direct to Kilimanjaro (Arusha) airport (JRO). The flight that lands at JRO is there for about one hour and then flies down to Dar, so it's no problem flying into JRO and then returning via DAR (if you are ticketed that way). KLM and NW are partners so there's no problem on these connections.">

Not sure if NW do Boston-AMS at all but this is your best route given your proposed Itinerary.

Get your plane tickets as soon as they open for August 2009 in September.

I am not clear as to your total time in Tz. Is the 5-6 days Safari in addition to the 'wasted' days in Dar and Arusha or is this your Safari?

Your Medic will advise on Shots. You do not need many (some would say "any!") A guide..

1. Yellow Fever and bring the Certificate.

2. Dipetheria/Tetanus (if not current)

3. Hepatitus A

4. Polio/Typhoid.

all these last for a minimum of 3 years, YF for 10 so no reason to delay.

A course of anti malarial Prophylactics. You start these about a week before you go and KEEP on taking them for about four weeks after you get home.

Mentioned in this post
Kilimanjaro National Park
Kilimanjaro National Park
Kilimanjaro Region, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Starting to Plan trip to Tanzania

Absolutely fly from BOS via NW/KLM, but be sure it's not a flight that takes you via Detroit (NW hub), to AMS, connect to JRO in Tanzania.

Yes inoc are required/suggested. As long as you know ahead of time, you can include in eventual cost of trip. But no need for these till about 6/weeks prior departure. And, the Visa for $100 US Passport holders.

No need for 2/days DAR unless there's something specific.

You'll arrive JRO which is 1/hr from Arusha from where safaris of northern circuit start. Figure out where you wish to visit, send to a few outfitters, whether you wish lodges/camps, get the prices and then compare in order to decide.

Sample itinerary would be:

Day 1 - Arv JRO (Arusha)

Day 2 - Tarangire

Day 3 - Tarangire

Day 4 - Ngorongoro

Day 5 - Central Serengeti

Day 6 - Central Serengeti

Day 7 - Back to Manyara

Day 8 - Fly to Zanzibar

Day 9/10- Zanzibar

Day 11 - To DAR for flight home

Mentioned in this post
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
4. Re: Starting to Plan trip to Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, October 03, 2009