We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy Season in Zanzibar

Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
Rainy Season in Zanzibar

I am planning a trip to Zanzibar for the end of May/beginning of June. Which, as I understand, is the end of the rainy season. We are looking at staying at the Pongwe Beach on the east side and Matemwe Beach on the northeast side of the island. I read that many places are closed on the East side during that time because of the rainy season. Our group is interested in doing some site seeing but mostly we want to hang on a beautiful beach and do some snorkeling.

Can anyone share with me what we can expect as far as the weather is concerned and if it would be better to look at different areas of the island during that time as well as what you think of these hotels? I would be really greatful for any insight.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,651 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy Season in Zanzibar

Both Pongwe and Matemwe Beach are on the northeast coast. Is that Matemwe Beach Village or Matemwe Bungalows? The bungalows are more expensive than the former.

Some resorts close during the rainy season, usually from Easter (mid-Mar or Apr) to June 1. Only your agent can advise if these two will be open when you plan to visit.

Just so you know - while most all have ceiling fans, neither Pongwe or Matemwe Beach Village have air conditioning. Being on the coast is not only hot, but also humid. Also, Pongwe seems to turn off their generator at 12M, so no fan. At either, unless you're fortunate for your room to catch any breeze, it can be uncomfortable for sleeping.

Pongwe does have one of the prettiest beaches and not a soul around.

You can arrange sightseeing through either of these properties, whether Jozani Forest, into Stone Town, Prison Island, dhow cruises, dolphin adventures, etc. As you have to pass Stone Town on the way to the ZNZ airport for your homebound flight, I would suggest you consider the last day/night in Stone Town, instead of driving back-n-forth.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy Season in Zanzibar

The weather in May/June will be hot (it usually is on Zanzibar) and humid. There may be some rain, but it will be short lived typically. Sometimes it rains a bit, then the sun comes out and activities get back to normal.

Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy Season in Zanzibar

Thanks everyone for your input it really helps!

Houston
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy Season in Zanzibar

As Sandi said, do Stone Town end of the trip. If you start early and depending on your flight out ,[if you are with KLM and leaving Dar at 11:00 pm, the last flight from Zanzibar that you can take is 5:15 pm] I would also add Spice Tour.

5. Re: Rainy Season in Zanzibar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, September 19, 2009