We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What shots/vaccinations do we need?

NYC
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What shots/vaccinations do we need?

My fiance and I are going to Tanzania and Zanzibar for our honeymoon in June.

We are leaving from NY, flying to Amsterdam, then into JRO. We just got an email from our travel agent about the new Yellow Fever requirement but I'm wondering what else we need to get.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,795 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What shots/vaccinations do we need?

Consult your medics but by way of suggestion:-

Polio/Diptheria/Tetanus if you have not had these as children. Check they are current anyway.

Typhoid and Hepatitus A.

Malaria Prophylactics of course.

And get that YF soonest. I believe the vaccine is in short supply in NY.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What shots/vaccinations do we need?

Check the CDC site at www.cdc.gov/travel.

Many of the inocs below will serve you well at home and as adults we should all be current.

Tetanus - is good for 10/years

Hep-A - 2/jags, the 2nd/ bet. 6/mo-1/yr after the first (but the initial will be sufficient to start) - good then for 10/years

Polio Booster - an inoc

Thyphoid - tabs

Yellow Fever - is good for 10/years (be sure to get the Yellow Booklet)

Malaria meds (tabs) - most visitors these days are taking Malarone.

Your physician should have Tetanus, Hep-A, Polio available; can write a script for Thyphoid tabs. If he/she is licensed to provide Yellow Fever, that's great... otherwise, you'll have to find a where these are available. Often thru Travel Clinics (thru hospital or private), Public Health facility.

Discuss with your personal physician or travel clinic in consideration of your own health history.

Pleasanton, CA
Level Contributor
116 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What shots/vaccinations do we need?

I am trying to understand the most accurate information regarding imm shots before my trip to TZ.

The following is what the Tanzania Embassy website indicate:

Immunization- vaccination against cholera and malaria is recommended.

Yellow fever vaccination is required only for persons from, or those who have visited yellow fever endemic countries.

The CDC site is a lot more inclusive

…cdc.gov/travel/…notices

They mention HepA, HepB, etc.

Can someone (American) who has recently been to TZ post the most relevant imm requirements?

BTW, I am not going to zanzibar. Only to TZ Northern Safari circuit parks and then to Egypt.

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,795 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What shots/vaccinations do we need?

Just re-read sandi's post above. NYC is in America.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What shots/vaccinations do we need?

Yeh, mfuwe, last I checked NYC is in America!

Sreevals - If you are flying direct from US via Europe and not stopping anywhere in Africa, technically you do not require the Yellow Fever inoc.

That said, however, since this inoc is good for 10/years and might be good for other destinations you plan to visit... go for it. Cost is high, about $125, but over 10/years a pretty good deal.

HepB isn't needed unless you plan to be in-country longer than 3/months, working with locals as NGOs or Peace Corp or plan on unprotective s*x (doubtful, I hope).

Otherwise, those mentioned above will serve you well even if you never leave home again.

6. Re: What shots/vaccinations do we need?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, October 02, 2009