We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania

Hello! My husband and I are planning our delayed honeymoon to be in Tanzania for two weeks sometime between January and February of 2019. We are starting from scratch with planning at this point and need some suggestions/tips! So far, we know that we would like to spend some time hiking (hopefully in some very scenic areas), on safari in the Serengeti, and relaxing on the beaches of Zanzibar.

Does anyone have any recommendations of how we should structure our time?

What is the best method of travel between cities? Should we rent a car?

What cities/towns/experiences can't we miss?

Should we consider flying in and out of different airports?

Is there anything else that we need to know as we start planning our time?

Thank you so much in advance!!

11 replies to this topic
Moshi, Tanzania
Level Contributor
542 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania

Hi Ananda,

If you choose to visit the Serengeti park which is located in Northern Tanzania I recommend booking a multi-city international flight that will see you land in Kilimanjaro (JRO) and fly out of Dar es Salaam (DAR). I recommend DAR as you exit because it is closer to Zanzibar, 20-minute shuttle flight. This way you will do your safari, hiking activity, fly to Zanzibar archipelago (look into Pemba - less frequented) for some beach time then depart from Dar es Salaam back home.

When in North Tanzania you can choose to do some hiking at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro such as a day trek, hiking in Arusha National Park, short walking safari in Manyara & Tarangire and also Ngorongoro crater highlands.

Question number 4 on this forum here lists tour operators with whom to start your search with. Contact a few to get itineraries.

Happy Planning!

Edward - Pristine Trails Adventures

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania

Honeymoon safari northern Tanzania safari combine following activities during the safari,nature walking,culture tour,wildlife safari,beach holiday all in one bucket list.

Arusha national park with nature walking dense tropical forests and caonening tour with short game drive

Tarangire national park game drive explore the Savannah landscape and Bush walk with ranger in Savannah landscape with Grant African trees

Mto wa mbu culture tour bike tour with local lunch

Ngorongoro crater tour and maasai village tour

Ndutu area southern Serengeti for great migration explore make sure you allow more days

Central Serengeti as home of big cats

Fly out to Zanzibar from seronera airport to Zanzibar then transfer to Nungwi or Jambiani for beach holiday

Accommodation style safari lodge,tented lodge,mobile camps to experience really safari sense

Authentic Africa experience waiting for you

TO go www.tatotz.org or www.mnrt.go.tz/tour operators also bullet 4th in TA page

Edited: 3:40 am, September 16, 2018
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
193 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania

There are companies that specialize in longer hiking trips, often in combination with regular game-viewing safaris. One such is Dorobo Safaris, http://www.dorobosafaris.com/, who have been doing it a long time and who are outstanding.

South Africa
9 posts
1 review
4. Re: Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania

Hi,

We did our honeymoon in Tanzania and it was incredible.

In Jan / Feb depending on the rains, the Great Migration will be in the Southern / Central Serengeti. There are some great migration camps which can put you in front of the migration. It's an experience you don't want to miss if you are there.

The Ngorongoro Crater is a great place to visit and if you spend 2-3 nights there you can enjoy the crater and do an amazing hike to the Empakaai Crater and Olmoti Crater.

There are some magnificent places to stay and visit in Zanzibar. Pure luxury! With the beautiful turqouise waters and white sandy beaches.

In the way of structure I would do Ngorongoro Crater first, then the Serengeti and finish it off with Zanzibar. From a timing perspective, if you want to hike the craters I would suggest at least:

3 nights Ngorongoro Crater

4-5 nights Serengeti

4 nights Zanzibar

Regarding the logisitics, you won't be able to self drive but you will be able to either utilise a tranport company or what I recommend is flying. The distances are far so you don't want to waste too much time in a car. Depending on the lodge you are staying at, they can help organise transportation from the airport / air strip to the lodge.

Stone Town in Zanzibar is a pretty cool experience, although I would prefer to spend my time enjoying the luxury on the beach, snorkelling, drinking cocktails and enjoying the fresh food.

You will definitley fly in and out of different airports depending on your itinerary. The less time in the air and more time on the ground the better.

I would recommend looking at a travel agent as logistics can be quite complicated and you don't want to mis-judge your time or airport location as the distances are quite far.

I hope this helps.

Karen - Unearth Experience.

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania

This helps so much! As an update, we ended up buying round trip in and out of DAR from the states. It seemed to be the most cost effective but I hadn’t read all of these replies when I booked! Do you think I will be wasting a bunch of our time with this plan, is it worth looking into changing a flight since I’m within the window? We were thinking of flying up north to Arusha (unless there is a better option?) so that we can explore the crater and the migration as was suggested. Is it possible to rent a car to do all of the northern adventuring?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
193 posts
22 reviews
6. Re: Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania

You might think about a ticket into Kilimanjaro Airport and departing from Zanzibar or Dar es Salaam (there are international flights from Zanzibar as well as Dar). KLM has service to all those airports.

You can rent a self-drive car in Arusha (Fortes Car Hire is terrific), but I don’t recommend it. The Serengeti is vast, and if you don’t know where the wildlife sightings are and don’t know your way around, you’ll waste a lot of time. Also, the system of getting through the park gates, which requires prepayment of park entry fees, is laborious and confusing to someone new to the system. Better to work with a tour operator who will make all arrangements.

Edited: 12:36 am, September 19, 2018
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
7. Re: Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania

Does anyone have any recommendations of how we should structure our time?

Two weeks in Jan/ feb with some walking/hiking. You have sone good suggestions above. Just a note on Ngorongoro 3 nights will be quiet expensive if you are walking as it is a costly area to stay in with park fees and accommodation.

A lot depends on how much hiking you want to do as the Highlands does offer great walking activities.

Tarangire also but you should walk outside the park. West Kili would be great but off the beaten track a bit.

if you just want to walk to stretch the you can even do it on the short grass plains of Ndutu with a park ranger.

A lot depends on the type of hiking/walking you want to do and for how long.

What is the best method of travel between cities? Should we rent a car? You can rent a car but as mentioned above but for the safari part of the trip you are better off with a local Tanzania Tour Operator. They can then work out what sort of walking is suitable and where it can be done. Try and fly into Kilimanajro and out of Dar or Zanzibar as mentioned above.

What cities/towns/experiences can't we miss? The migration of the wildebeest on the short grass plains of Ndutu not necessarily Ndutu Lodge as the short grass plains are vast.

Should we consider flying in and out of different airports? Yes it is a good idea to fly one way out to the Serengeti and drive back or vice versa. as to your International flights see above.

Is there anything else that we need to know as we start planning our time? I would email 4-5 local Tanzanian Tour Operators and ask them for ideas of what to do and where to go.

in line with your expressed interests.

Moshi, Tanzania
Level Contributor
542 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania

Ananda,

If you are still within the window to change your flight ticket you should change it to land in Kilimanjaro (JRO) upon arrival. Booking an internal flight will cost you more because you will have to spend a night in Dar es Salaam (no local flights depart from DAR after KLM lands at 10:00 pm) flights between from Dar can easily cost $100 + per person (depending on the time of booking).

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
14 posts
99 reviews
9. Re: Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania

Hi there. I've been to Tanzania 8 times now and this is the advice I have for you...

Serengeti... Skip it. Yes, it's famous but there are other places to see animals. You can't off road in the Serengeti, it's crowded with cars, VERY spread out, and honestly underwhelming. The camps I prefer are Tarangire Safari Lodge (great for elephants, but also other animals), Ngorongoro where it's not as spread out but still crowded or if you want a more unique experience... Mahale Mountains. That's where the chimpanzees are and you go hiking in the mountains to find them. Check out Greystoke Mahale. You can combine that with a standard safari in Selous which is nearby. If you want to do wildlife, I might suggest something totally different... The Okavango Delta, Botswana. You can offroad in all the camps which means you are right up there with the animals. My favorite lodge is Duba Plains. You would fly to Maun, Botswana and then get on a charter to Duba Plains (Great Plains Conservation camp). As a girl obsessed with Africa, this is my suggestion if you want a safari.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
193 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania

Well, I for one think the Serengeti is superlative... arguably the greatest reservoir of plains game in the world, with spectacular and varied landscapes. Is it undiscovered? No, of course not. But for spectacle and the overall quality of the experience, it can't be beat in my book.

Of course opinions can and do differ... I love Botswana too, but if time's limited that's a separate trip.

Reply to: Help planning our Honeymoon in Tanzania
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted