We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

game drive vehicles & passenger heights

Katy, Texas
5 posts
Save Topic
game drive vehicles & passenger heights

Hello,

About how tall does one need to be to see out the roof of the game drive vehicles commonly used by Tanzania safari operators? (We are considering a safari when our kids are ages 8-11 and am wondering if they would be able to see out the roof.)

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
Bristol
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: game drive vehicles & passenger heights

I am 5 foot 4 inches and could see out but much shorter than that would have meant not having a good view. Some Tour Operators are happy for you to stand on the seats, though this may not be a good idea for children when driving around as the tracks in safari parks are pretty rough. In fact even standing on the floor of the car while driving around you need to hold on tight all the time. Even doing this I got a few bruises.

If you go on safari in the Southern Parks, the cars generally are open sided and everyone sits down and gets a good view so no problem at all for children. The seats are even tiered in the cars so you look over the top of the passengers in front.

Katy, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: game drive vehicles & passenger heights

Thank you for this information!

I have a rookie follow-up question...

When you mention an open vehicle safari in the southern camps, does this mean flying into the camp/lodge directly and using their open vehicles or is there a safari operator that uses open vehicles in the southern region?

Thank you!

Bristol
Level Contributor
2,993 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: game drive vehicles & passenger heights

In the Southern Parks most people fly between lodges due to the distances involved. The airstrips yiou land at are in the middle of the national parks so a guide and car from your chosen accommodation will meet you when you land and off you go on safari. The cars can be open sided because they never go outside the national parks (They are not suitable for driving on the roads between the parks). This type of safari is very time efficient as you dont spend anytime driving between parks and the flights are generally pretty short.

In the southern parks, if you drive in with a TO, from outside the parks, you will be in a standard pop up top vehicle.

Katy, Texas
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: game drive vehicles & passenger heights

Thank you so much. This has been very helpful. Now I just have to get over my fear of those little planes!

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
3,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: game drive vehicles & passenger heights

Without problems kids can stand in seat during the game drive

While you book the tour email your TOs to arrange good car while can fit for kids

Reply to: game drive vehicles & passenger heights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted