We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mara River Post

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
Mara River Post

Has anyone stayed at the new Mara River Post by Tanganika yet?

I think it opened in July and we have booked for January so was hoping to get a review.

Thank you

Caz

54 replies to this topic
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Mara River Post

It located 8 km from kongatende airport in northern serengeti but January in northern serengeti???well maybe is your choice but I would say skip northern serengeti then go southern serengeti it amazing and great experience for catch up the great migration that is frok December to march aso January is best time for southern serengeti in Ndutu area

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Mara River Post

Thanks for the information Safarieyes. I appreciate your reply.

We have chosen the Mara specifically, as we have been south for the migration in previous trip and there was something magical about the resident animals and last time we didn't see a single other jeep. It felt like we had AFRICA all to ourselves 😊

The camp is new, we stayed at Sayari last time which was fabulous but just wanted to hear from anyone that actually stayed at Mara River Post camp.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply .

Edited: 5:51 pm, September 22, 2017
Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Mara River Post

Well Mara river post is news one but is permanent luxury tented camp.i agree that is January most of clients(Tourist)heading south but North there is still wild animals around the kongatende area

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Mara River Post

I stayed there the week before last. The camp itself is very serene, beautifully decorated, the rooms are generously spacious, airy, with everything you need including fluffy white blankets and modern USB plugs. Each room has a seating on a decked terrace outside to sip wine before sunset and just admire the views. The whole arrangement gave me the perfect respite at the end of a busy safari trip, just what I needed. Wifi is available in the dining area which is weaker in stormy/windy weather. The camp perching on a hilltop allows for some unique views; one morning I was finishing my breakfast when we saw 25 elephants making their way towards Mara River. A few moments later, all guests and staff were running toward the river and scrambling to find the best viewing point and we all filmed a rare river crossing of so many elephants. At this time of the year, huge herds of wildebeest had already made their way to the central Serengeti and a crossing here in the north was rare (I didn't see any), however there are plenty of hippos, crocs etc to see. Every morning it takes about an hour to drive down to the areas near the river with hippos, zebras etc, but I was happy to accept the distance for the piece, relaxation and views from the camp's hilltop location. One evening after a really strong storm, a lot of the crossings leading to the camp were completely flooded, so we had to take the long way around to get to the camp, all part of the adventure!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Mara River Post

Thank you Ianenglefield I really appreciate your detailed response. 🤗🤗

I'm so excited and it great to eat such a positive review, I'm very grateful that you took the time and effort it's very generous of you.

Thank you

Cheers

Caz 🐘🐘🐘🐘

nice
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
29 helpful votes
6. Re: Mara River Post

I'm going there next week, and will update this topic as soon as possible.

Thanks Ianenglefield for this response!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Mara River Post

AWESome!!

Can’t wait to hear!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: Mara River Post

We just went last week and it was our favorite camp of the entire safari. They have really luxurious tents with plugs and nice showers, and even have turn down service. The decor is beautiful. The main area for drinks and dining is small and quaint. We saw huge heards of elephants and 1 week old babies crossing the river from our large terrace the entire first day. The elephants came by the next afternoon and were literally 5 feet from our room. It was absolutely magical. The staff and the food was better than anywhere else we stayed. Abbas, who I believe manages the camp, will take excellent care of you. Only downside is the Wifi did not work either day. This place is an absolute hidden gem with it's proximity to the Mara river. You're in for a serious treat! Enjoy!

nice
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
29 helpful votes
9. Re: Mara River Post

Hi Dexter, thank so much for this update!!

It is great you enjoyed your stay there. Can't wait to discover Tanzania!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
791 posts
22 reviews
27 helpful votes
10. Re: Mara River Post

Can anyone give me an idea of the price range for this camp? I will have 2 nights in the Mara Serengeti next September and am looking for a well located camp in the $500-$600 per tent per night price range. Closeness to the Mara River is important.

Reply to: Mara River Post
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted