We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania and Kenya safari

Johnson City...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tanzania and Kenya safari

We are a group of 20 planning a safari to Tanzania and Kenya for 10 days in July.

We intend visiting Nairobi- 1 night, Lake Nakuru- 1 night,Masa Mara -2 nights, Serengeti- 3 nights, Ngorongoro - 1 night and Arusha/ Mt kilimanjaro- 1 night.

IS it better to stay in the tents/camps in Serengeti or at the spa lodge?

Also is it worth flying from Masai mara to serengeti for an additional $475 per person?

Is it worth taking a 1/2 day while in the Mt Kilimanjaro region?

Thx.

All suggestions are welcome.

Ash

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,276 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania and Kenya safari

Wow- I think you may need to step back a second and reconsider. I would take a minute to research the travel time and actual time spent on Safari based on this itinerary. I hope you mean 10 actual days in country (the first day you arrive will likely be shot with arrival, customs, visa, getting transportation, getting out of airport city). Hopefully, with travel you have 13 or 14 minimum.

If I only had 10 days, I would definitely just stay in 1 country, not 2. You are going to spend more time on the road and doing transfers than actually on safari.

First decide if you want to do Tanzania or Kenya (Tanzania would be my choice). Then spend 10 days in that one country. 10 days is a shorter, but adequate northern circuit safari in Tanzania, or an average safari in Kenya.

Based on your above very rushed trip, I would spend the money flying whenever possible to save time. $475 is worth it because you only have very few real days of safari, and it will buy you another half day or so.

Yes, stay in the tents/camps in the serengeti that are mobile and can be in the best spot to see wildlife and the migration. I am concerned about the transfer time from the Serenegeti to the crater in July- isn't that about an 8 hour drive and a couple of gates to go through? And then the crater to Arusha- isn't that about 5 hours? With a group of 20, you might add about 10-15% to that time due to multiple cars and multiple stops, breaks needed.

My advice is please reconsider your attempt to see too much. I am afraid the group will be tired and disappointed. Just my opinion.

PS- a "1/2 day in the Kilamanjaro region" is not of any real value. Use it for another 1/2 day out on safari. When driving to Arusha, you will see Kilamanjaro (in the clouds likely) but 1/2 day is not worth trying to visit. there is no value.

Edited: 10:12 am, December 08, 2016
Johnson City...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania and Kenya safari

Thx a lot

Will reconsider the number of days and maybe extend i tot 12-13 nights.

Will drop off the 1/2 day in Kilimanjaro as well.

Any thoughts about the hot air balloon in Serengeti or Masai?

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania and Kenya safari

10 days safari visit Tanzania and Kenya is too short better skip one country and go in one country otherwise you will spend most of the safari in road instead of the real safari experience.Like Tarangire national park in Northern circuit of the Tanzania and Serengeti national park is great to visit from July from high concentration of the wild animals in Tarangire to great migration in Serengeti national park in Northern part

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania and Kenya safari

Balloon safari it will be better in Norther circuit of the Serengeti in kongatende area but also seronera valley eagle Eyes in seronera river looking for Hippos and etc beautiful sunrise over Serengeti plain

Johnson City...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania and Kenya safari

I have heard that due to the bush fires there's a lot of smog and u can't see much in the hot air balloon.

Any thoughts?

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzania and Kenya safari

That is not true at all.well during the season there is some parts there is bush fire and in sure 100%/that is news from those people I called copy and paste I think there don't or never been in Serengeti or other Tanzania national parks.some people sitting in for of computer and post some unknown reason information.

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzania and Kenya safari

Distance from point to point

Serengeti north to Central Serengeti 158km

Serengeti Central to 152 km

Ngorongoro Crater to Arusha 190 km

Arusha town to Kilimanjaro airport 50km

Accommodation

Serengeti I suggest mobile tented camp as close to the wilderness

Ngorongoro Crater sopa lodge or Serena

Also I would recommend to visit Tarangire national park beautiful park with high concentration of the wildlife

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
365 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanzania and Kenya safari

Hi Ash,

As others have already stated - the itinerary is very rushed with a lot of travel time. I'm not sure that in July you would gain anything extra by including Masai Mara except to meet a lot more people!

In terms of tented camps vs lodge the vote on this forum always leans towards camps (with the exception of Ngorongoro where the vote is split because of the amazing view from Sopa Lodge and others on the rim).

However for 20 people in July you may end up having to stay in lodges to find availability. Kati-Kati and other TWC camps may be big enough to host you but most of the others that are regularly recommended on here will not have the capacity (or at least have 10 tents available during July).

I would definitely take some time thinking the itinerary through - in my experience less if often more and there's nothing worse than feeling rushed on a safari.

Hope this helps

Ellie

9. Re: Tanzania and Kenya safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 10, 2017