We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week honeymoon in Sept - where to go in SA?

Marlow, UK
Level Contributor
177 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3 week honeymoon in Sept - where to go in SA?

We are in the early stages of planning our honeymoon in SA for 3 weeks in Sept 2008. We would like some advice on where to go and how to get around. We are thinking of roughly 1 week in Cape Town and surrounding areas (particularly Boulders Beach for the penguins and Hermanus for the whales), 1 week in Durban and surrounding areas (e.g. Drakensberg mountains and a nice beach area) and 1 week in Kruger (Sabi Sands) to finish off. We won't be driving so a big consideration is how we will get around by public transport. My fiance doesn't like flying either so we have to minimise internal flights. Does it sound feasible to fit all this in?

We are thinking of flying into Cape Town and getting bus/tours to Boulders Beach and Hermanus as well as seeing Cape Town itself. The Garden Route sounds lovely but bearing in mind it will be Sept (and therefore maybe not good weather?) and we won't be driving we thought maybe we would be better off skipping this and heading straight to Durban probably on an internal flight. Then hopefully a bus to the Drakensberg mountains to stay there for a few days - we would like to do some day hikes there. And then a few days on a nice beach (what will the weather be like in Sept on the beaches there?), again getting there by bus. Finally, we are hoping to avoid another internal flight by finding a bus up to Nelspruit to visit Kruger before flying back to the UK from Johannesburg.

Can anyone give us advice on any of this? Particularly getting around on buses/tours. Are there any other areas of SA we should be considering? Are we trying to fit too much in. As it's our honeymoon we want it to be relaxing but we want to see as much of SA as possible as it all looks amazing! As I said we are in the early planning stages so any advice gratefully received!

Durban, SA
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 week honeymoon in Sept - where to go in SA?

Sounds like you have done a fair amount of research already. However as I live in Durban, SA. Maybe I could give you a couple of ideas.

You are correct the weather in the Cape is not great at that time. However Cape Town and the Winelands (Stellenbosch) is a must! Tours are obviously available, but probably quite expensive (never had to do one). I would personally hire a car. (Driving around CT is not difficult, and definately easier than the UK!)

Yes, the Garden Route is great, in particular Knysna. Weather is a factor, and would recommend to take a tour bus along the route. From here you can catch a flight to Durban from either PE or George.

Durban has great weather at that time of the year! Not too humid and generally clear skies (Low rainfall Period). Once there, best to stay in either 1. Umhlanga or 2. Ballito (Fantastic beaches with warm Indian Ocean). Do not stay in Durban itself.

Drakensberg is beautifull at that time of the year, generally crisp and clear skies. Recommend you stay at either Champagne Sports Resort or Cathederal Peak Hotel. Speak to them about transfers. Both fantastic. But for a Honeymoon, Cathederal Peak Hotel is probably the better choice.

To cut out travelling all the way up to Kruger. I would definately recommend you go to Phinda Game Lodge which is up the North Coast of Natal. It has the Big Five and all you will ever see in Kruger, and is about 2.5 hours drive from Durban. I am sure they will arrange transfers for you. Having just returned from there I can highly recommend it to end your honeymoon before you connect back to the UK.

2. Re: 3 week honeymoon in Sept - where to go in SA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 pm, August 18, 2009