We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to go in SA??

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
720 posts
326 reviews
Save Topic
where to go in SA??

Never been to Africa. 2 X 40 somethings with a sense of adventure are looking for a great place to go for next Christmas with a hint of something different. We dont do slumming it and like a G and T.

Obviously would love to see game and experience the real Africa, meals by firelight and such (plus Gin) but its all soooooooooooo big and confusing. We have 10-14 days and would like to vary our accomodation. Any thoughts also on the luxury train trips we have seen advertised, please help..... Janet.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: where to go in SA??

I would suggest Cape Town, the Garden Route and one of the game parks near Port Elizabeth.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to go in SA??

From my suggestion, you won't see much "real Africa", but you will see enough to make you want to come again.

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to go in SA??

Hi there!

For a period of 2 weeks it is a good idea to have a car available, at least some of the time. Infrastructure is excellent, main roads all signposted well and there are excellent maps. Generally-speaking, you should be safe driving around, as long as you are sensible, do not venture into dangerous areas and travel long distances by day.

I would suggest that you defnitely spend 5-7 days based in Cape Town, visiting Table Mountain, Robben Island, the V&A Waterfront, drive to Hermanus, maybe a few wine farms, etc. Here you will make most use of the rental car.

Try Rovos Rail for a train trip of a life time. www.rovos.co.za

If you want to experience africa with a G & T in hand, I suggest that you then ftake the train up to Johannesburg or fly up from Cape Town to KMI airport at Nelspruit (try www.nationwide.co.za as well as www.flysaa.com for domestic flights) and then visit one of the private game lodges in either the Sabi Sands- or Timbavati Game Reserves. (Transfers can be arranged at reasonable rates so for this leg it would not be necessary to have a rental car.)

There are a number of lodges to suit various budgets and a good agent might surprise you at what rates can be secured! These lodges are all in the Greater Kruger National Park and you will have the most-rewarding game viewing and bush experience, together with comfort and cuisine!

All depends on your budget though.

Depending on where you end up, you can then catch a flight from either KMI or Hoedspruit, back to Johannesburg, on the same day your international flight back home departs. These flights price from about R1000 per person, but as you know, the longer you wait, the more you pay. Mail me at bdk@ddkk.co.za for further info, if you like.

If your budget does not allow a private game lodge (from about R800 per adult per day sharing, up to more than R6000 per adult per day, depending on the season and level of luxury), I would still fly up from CT, hire a car at the airport in Nelspruit, with which you can then explore the panorama route (God's Window, Mac-Mac Falls, Pilgrim's Rest, etc) and also then do a self-drive safari to the Kruger National Park (www.sanparks.org). (Game viewing is however not of the same quality as at a private game lodge.)

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,127 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to go in SA??

How about Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge?

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to go in SA??

Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge is an excellent lodge, with a design different from any other safari lodge in Africa! The suites are extremely luxurious, and their service is of the highest quality. The lodge was designed in such a way that it blends with the surroundings of the African bush .......... you can't see it from a distance, and then suddenly it's just THERE!! A great plus is that the lodge overlooks a waterhole that is frequented by elephants and other animals. Sabi Sabi's guides are of the best in the industry...........all in all, you can't go wrong with Earth Lodge! Other excellent lodges that compare well to Earth Lodge which you may want to consider are Leopard Hills and Exeter Leadwood Lodge. Good luck with all the arrangements!

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where to go in SA??

Hi there

I haven't been to Earthlodge, but I see Africadirect has.

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
720 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to go in SA??

Thank you all so very much for your thoughts, am still planning

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: where to go in SA??

RosieandJan,

If you want to I can put you in touch with a Germany friend of mine who has travelled to SA on a number of occasions and has also personally visited a number of lodges. I would not like to post her e-mail address here in public, but if you e-mail me at bdk@ddkk.co.za I will put you in contact with her!

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
9. Re: where to go in SA??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:28 am, August 25, 2009