We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting A Car-4 weeks. Advice Please.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
217 reviews
Save Topic
Renting A Car–4 weeks. Advice Please.

We plan to arrive in Johannesburg and drive to Sun City and on to Kruger. Fly to Capetown and drive the Peninsula, Wine Region, & Garden Route. These are my questions:

Are there any routes that we should avoid because they are unsafe (car jackings, etc.)?

Do you strongly advise renting a cell phone at the Johannesburg airport?

Is Port Elizabeth worthwhile or should we stop at Knysna and loop back to Capetown? Port Elizabeth itself does not sound that appealing but there is the Addo Elephant Park, but is it worth it to drive the distance just for Addo?

Thank you and I will await your suggestions and opinions.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting A Car–4 weeks. Advice Please.

Yes, Addo is worth it

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting A Car–4 weeks. Advice Please.

Thank you Lamlee for your reply. I think we may be adding Addo to the list.

I realize that safety is common sense in any country. Unfortunately I've read the stuff that makes one nervous. While in Capetown we will ask at where we are staying where to park, drive, etc., including areas to avoid. Johannesburg we are basically over-nighting at the airport. But I've heard crazy things such as being careful at the gates into Kruger as this is a popular hi-jacking spot - is this true? I'm just trying to prepare myself to avoid any unfortunate incidents.

Thanks Lamlee,

Flymeaway2 from Canada

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting A Car–4 weeks. Advice Please.

Personally I would stop at Knysna or Plettenburg rather than Port Elizabeth.

I would recommend having a cell phone with you so if your own isn't suitable for use in SA then either rent a cell phone or just rent a SIM which would be cheaper.

Have driven in and out of Numbi, Phabeni and Paul Kruger Gates many times and I don't think they are the sort of places for car jackings (no doubt someone will prove me wrong) but there are always Sanpark officials around to check you in (or out of the Park) and to raise and lower barriers and usually plenty of visitors arriving and leaving. Those circumstances don't seem to lend themselves to car-jackings. Have been visiting SA for 6 years and have never had a problem with crime, though it certainly exists. We try to take sensible precautions and have had no trouble.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting A Car–4 weeks. Advice Please.

Thank you Somersetal for your reply. As you can tell this is our first trip S.A.

Should we visit a game reserve in either Madikwe or Pilanesberg (we are thinking of visiting Sun City)? I ask because we plan on spending 7 days in Kruger (3 at a private game reserve and maybe 4 days on our own staying at the Park Camps). Would a visit to Madikwe or Pilanesberg 'add' to our game park exerpience?

Originally we had contemplated 3 days in Botswana at the Okavango Delta and 3 days in Chobe, but the luggage restrictions have had us revising our itinerary. Again, I have 'read' that you are only allowed a small soft sided duffle type bag per person. We are planning on a 6 week, possibly 7 week visit so we are 'definitely' going to have one large suitcase each. With that said, we cannot see how Botswana will be in the cards for us on this trip. Is this information about the luggage restriction true? Thank you.

australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting A Car–4 weeks. Advice Please.

You can't miss a trip to Botswana. It's the "real" Africa. The luggage restrictions only apply to the small charter planes to the camps. I believe Moremi air will store your suitcases in Maun.

south africa
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting A Car–4 weeks. Advice Please.

Hi

I live in Johannesburg - and yes crime exists - but as in any big city - be aware. Yes get a cell phone. Mostly big city centres are crime hot spots. In johannesburg no-one ventures into the city centre after dark - the Northern suburbs have amazing shopping centres, restuarants and is very 1st world. Port Elizabeth is a lovely little city with a nice feel to to it and lovely Dophinarium and great beaches. However Knsyna is beautiful for a night or two with the most amazing restuarnats, scenery and walks. Sun City is nice, and the Pilansberg a very pleasant park with plenty animals.You will love the wine region.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
250 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting A Car–4 weeks. Advice Please.

Thank you for your replies. I appreciated the tip SunnySA on the northern suburbs of Johannesburg.

8. Re: Renting A Car–4 weeks. Advice Please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 23, 2009