We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa Itinerary

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
South Africa Itinerary

I posted a topic a few months ago when I was thinking about visiting South Africa. We have now booked our flights and I am trying to put together an itinerary. What do people think of this? We arrive JNB on 1st July and leave CPT 22 July. Here goes:

2 nights JNB staying in Melrose Arch

3 nights safari Kruger.....exact destination/camp yet to be decided. Possibly Lion Sands Sabi Sands or Leopard Hills

2 nights Rorkes drift (Fugitives Drift Guest House). Can you fly Kruger to Durban and then drive to Rourkes drift all in same day?#

2 nights Drakensberg Mountains (Cleopatra Mountain Farmhouse)

6 nights Cape town (African Villa)

3 or 4 nights Franshoek (Maison Chablis)

Last 2 nights back in Cape Town.

We have a a day spare somewhere...thought we may need to break up the travel from Kruger to Rorkes drift.

What do people think? Are we missing anything essential on our trip? We would be keen to do some walking, biking and/or riding in these areas.

Thanks in anticipation,

Eric

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: South Africa Itinerary

My only comment is that July is winter and can be cold, rainy and miserable. While it is still very worthwhile to go to Cape Towm, I don't think I would spend 12 of my 21 nights there. I would spend more time in the northern and eastern parts of the country which don't really get cold and are dry at that time of year.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: South Africa Itinerary

Also, what is the reason for spending 2 nights in Joburg?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Africa Itinerary

There isnt much to do in Franschoek except wine tasting, so I think 4 nights there might be too many? And like Lamlee said, the weather in the Cape is most likley going to be cold, windy and wet, so you wont be loving the outdoor activities in that kind of weather!

Rather aim for 5 nights in Cape Town and 2 nights Franschoek. That would free up about 4 or 5 nights to spend in the East of the country where the weather is likely to be warmer and drier. You could spend some time near Durban or even further up the North Coast? Excellent beaches on the Kwa Zulu Natal North Coast if would like some time on the beach?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Africa Itinerary

Thanks for that helpful advice! We have read lots of good things as well as bad things about Johannesburg, so we thought we would see for ourselves. Where would you suggest to visit up north?

Eric

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Africa Itinerary

It depends what you would rather see and do. You could spend a few days on the North Coast just above Durban - it gets more rurual and less crowded the further north you go. Durban itself is not as pretty as Cape Town, but has an interesting vibe, so if you have time you could spend a night or two in Umhlanga. If you would like to go even further North you could try the area around the St Lucia wetlands. I havent been there in years, so Im not sure how big it is these days, but its a World heritage site with some great wildlife and dune forest hikes. Its also likley to be warm enough for the beach.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Africa Itinerary

Richards Bay has a small airport and is about 3 hours drive from Rorkes Drift. (I have recently been there). (Durban is probably 4 hours plus).

People who drove from Joburg tended to stopover in the Drakensberg mountains on the way. You could do walking and biking there.

I also stayed in the St Lucia Wetlands - wonderful area.

You have many options.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Africa Itinerary

When we were at Fugitives Drift about 3 weeks ago we had heavy rain storms, and couldn't visit the battlefields for 2 days. The locals said it would be better coming in winter when the weather was clearer.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Africa Itinerary

Thanks. That's again useful information.

Eric

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Africa Itinerary

I would agree with lamlee and suggest that you can add more nights in and around the kruger park (if you enjoy safaris, wildlife and warmer weather), rather than spend 2 nights in Johannesburg and so many nights in and around cape town. As you've heard, it can be wet and cold that time of year.

Enjoy your trip!

10. Re: South Africa Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, August 14, 2009