We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll roads in South Africa

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Toll roads in South Africa

How are road tolls paid in South Africa?

In Australia they have to be paid in advance and we got caught out when we inadvertently found ourselves on a toll road. The hire car company were sent to bill which we had to pay as well as a hefty admin charge from the hire company.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
4,814 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll roads in South Africa

Hello Eileen

Sorry to hear you got caught out, there should have been lots of signage showing you how to go online to pay tolls afterwards, saving the admin fee.

Anyway no such concerns in South Africa, as far as I know you can still just pay as you go through, but I believe E tolls are on their way.

Hopefully a local can advise the latest there ??

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll roads in South Africa

Thank you for the prompt reply.

In Oz, we didn't get internet access until it was too late but we won't get caught out again.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll roads in South Africa

Cash is your only option and you'll pay when you go through the toll gate at a booth. Only south african credit cards are accepted as far as I know.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll roads in South Africa

Hello and as above cash is your only option as only locals have toll cards. The SA AA I think still have a link to the toll charges on their web site so you can get a rough idea of costs. Are you in KwaZulu Natal at all?

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toll roads in South Africa

HI,

Thanks for that. We won't be going to KwaZulu-Natal. We'll be in Cape Town for 5 nights then driving to Port Elizabeth and back with some detours and stays in game lodges etc. We have 3 weeks to do the trip but don't want to spend too much of it on the road. I've planned our itinerary for the first 2 weeks and left the third to decide when we are there.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll roads in South Africa

Ah ok no problem its just that I know there is a web site dedicated to the Highway in KZN that might have been of use to you. Have a great time and as said try the SA AA for toll prices. Maybe consider KZN some time.

Mark - Owner - SafariKZN

Ipswich, England...
Level Contributor
429 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll roads in South Africa

Thanks Mark. We may do another South Africa trip in the future so I'll bear it in mind.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toll roads in South Africa

Driving from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth will not so bad. When driving on the N2 Highway you only have a toll gate at the Storms River Bridge that is where you will be going towards Port Elizabeth. Coming back to Cape Town on the N1 Highway close to the Wine Lands, you will only pay the toll gate there and the costs will run between R35- R45.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Topeka, Kansas...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Toll roads in South Africa

Are there unmanned toll booths in the pretoria area? I am presuming that the rental car company will offer an outrageously priced toll pass of some kind?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Toll roads in South Africa

There is only one toll road on the N2. It costs about R50.00 I think. It can be avoided by taking the (very) scenic route, the R102, I think.

If you leave Cape Town on the N1, there is at least 1 toll on that too.

But, they all have multiple toll booths with people sitting inside.