We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling form Durban Airport to Umhlanga

Melbourne
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling form Durban Airport to Umhlanga

Hi, I was just wondering what is the best way to Umlangha. Am feeling a bit paranoid here as I have just been told (a secondhand but true story) from a friend about a man who hired a registered taxi from the airport to his hotel. The driver asked to stop for petrol and the next thing he knew he was in an alley way being robbed by five men. Is this an isolated incident or is it better to cough up the fare requested by the hotel for their shuttle service?

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling form Durban Airport to Umhlanga

Sounds to me like your typical "true story" heard from a friend of a cousin's friend's gardener.

Probably should be classified as urban legend.

This is a highly unlikely occurrence if it was a genuine REGISTERED, and ACSA approved taxi.

It could be possible though, if it was an unregistered, "pirate" taxi.

I'd say, use the hotel's shuttle, not because of the above "scare story", but the shuttle will likely be cheaper than a taxi anyway.

Should not cost more than around ZAR200.00 as it is only a 17Km trip

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling form Durban Airport to Umhlanga

Consider how these crimes rarely seem to be reported in the media but frequently are passed on by a friend of a friend. When something abhorent occasionally happens to a tourist abroad, for example, it is invariably reported in the UK media. Recent reports cover Rio, St Lucia in the Cartibean, Luxor and NewZealand; however nothing for SA for ages. I would agree with Gavin on this one. Take the same care you would when arriving In any foreign city and enjoy.

3. Re: Travelling form Durban Airport to Umhlanga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 am, June 24, 2013
4. Re: Travelling form Durban Airport to Umhlanga

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 25, 2014