We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Circle with Nomad Africa Adventure Tours

Perth, W.A.
Level Contributor
57 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Southern Circle with Nomad Africa Adventure Tours

Hi,

My partner & I are looking at the Southern Circle tour with Nomad tours. It's a camping tour for 42 days that begins & ends in Cape Town. Has anyone done this tour & can give comments? We will be travelling in December/January. We are both 45 years old, but are used to camping etc.

Thanks.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern Circle with Nomad Africa Adventure Tours

Hi Skotty

My name is Jess and I work at Nomad Africa Adventure Tours. I'm very happy to see that you're looking for information from guests who have done our tours in the past :).

The Southern Circle that you are considering is actually a combination of two of our core tours with a two day transit in the middle. It may be easier for you to find opinions from people who have done the Cape to Victoria Falls tour, the Vic Falls to Johannesburg transit and the South African Explorer tour (Johannesburg to Cape Town).

On the Cape to Vic Falls section, you will be in a truck with camping guests only - there will be a maximum of 24 guests on your tour. On the transit - there may be a mix of camping and accommodated guests and on the South African Explorer section - there will be camping and accommodated guests on the same truck - a maximum of 18 guests will be on this tour to allow for more space and comfort.

You may have different guides and trucks for the different sections of your tours - and there will be guests joining and leaving the tour at main cities too - for eg. Swakopmund, Windhoek, Vic Falls, Joburg, Durban and Port Elizabeth.

December / January is the South African school holidays so on the Johannesburg to Cape Town section optional activities do get booked up quite quickly so if there are any specific activities that you'd like to do, make sure that you let your guide know early on in the tour so that they can phone ahead and pre-book the activities for you. eg. night game drives in Kruger.

All meals are served from the truck and if you have a look at your tour dossier - you can download it under the section "tour links" on the Nomad website - you will have an idea of the kind of food that gets served on the tour. Please be sure to also carefully read through the predeparture information so that you have a good idea of what to expect on tour.

If you have any questions or concerns that you'd like addressed immediately - you can also use the live chat feature on the website. If you have a look through the forums regarding Nomad on Tripadvisor (you can also go onto my profile and have a look at my posts), you'll find lots of very honest and important information about the tours.

I hope that helps :) Happy travel planning!

Jess

jess@nomadtours.co.za

Perth, W.A.
Level Contributor
57 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern Circle with Nomad Africa Adventure Tours

Hi Jess,

thanks for your reply. I have actually emailed your office earlier today with a couple of queries & hope to hear back soon. One of the tour dates we are looking at has - (SG) Small Group Rate Applicable, (*Only a portion of this tour is operated as a small group) - and I'm curious as to the difference this means.

My partner did a camping tour with Dragoman several years ago & was able to upgrade to a room at certain places for an extra fee, is this possible on your tours also?

Cheers.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern Circle with Nomad Africa Adventure Tours

Hi L

Great, we have received your enquiry and sent it to our GSA in Australia, Swagman. They will be in contact with you soon if they haven't already.

SG stands for Small Group and it means that there will be a maximum of 12 guests on the 24 seater truck on the Johannesburg to Cape Town section of your tour. The price for the small group is slightly higher than the regular departure because everyone gets their own double seat and their own window. We also have three crew on this section of the tour.

On the Cape to Vic Falls route you can upgrade to accommodation almost everywhere except when you're at Spitzkoppe as you'll be camping right under the mountain, also, at the Himba Village and Okavango Delta, you will not be able to upgrade. The rest of the places you visit, you're more than welcome to upgrade however it is subject to availability on arrival. On the Johannesburg to Cape Town route, you can upgrade at all the places we stop but as I mentioned, if you are looking at January / December, it is South African school holidays and availability may be an issue. You can prebook upgrades if you would like to avoid this. Please just make sure that you are very clear with this if you decide to do it as it is not our standard operating procedure however we'd like to be as flexible for you as possible.

Hope that helps :)

Jess

Nomad Tours

4. Re: Southern Circle with Nomad Africa Adventure Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 05, 2014