We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panorama route from Johannesberg to Kruger National Park

San Jose, California
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Panorama route from Johannesberg to Kruger National Park

Hi, We are planning to do the Panorama route and heard that we should budget a day to do this. So here is our current thinking -

Day1 - Drive from JoBerg and do part of Panorama route. Sleep in Hazy View.

Day2 - Drive from Hazy View and complete Panorama drive. Now the real question is this, once we complete this drive, should we return to Hazy View and sleep there overnight or should we enter Kruger through Orphen gate. I heard that the gates close by 6pm and so am not sure if we can make it. Any thoughts ?

Boston...
Level Contributor
359 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panorama route from Johannesberg to Kruger National Park

Hi,

Your Day 1 and 2 plans sound fine.

Where you enter the Kruger largely depends on your destination. If you are sleeping at Satara, then by all means enter from Orpen. If you're sleeping in Skukuza, you could sneak into the Park through Paul Kruger Gate but you will be rushing the Panaroma Route -- not something I would recommend.

If you let us know your destination for night 2, we can be more helpful.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Heeten, Owner, Swagat at Kruger Park Lodge, Hazyview/Boston

Topsail Beach...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panorama route from Johannesberg to Kruger National Park

Hi. We just got back from three weeks in ZA and I will offer my thoughts. It will take you six hours to drive from Joburg to Hazyview and more stopping for lunch. This is only driving, not sightseeing. You need to follow the N4 because there is construction on another route and we waited for 30 minutes at a time. Check in Joburg about the best way to the N4 without construction. We stayed in White River and went into Kruger three days. Day one we entered into the Numbi gate, traveled north along the river road (dirt), had lunch at Skukuza and exited back out the Numbi gate. It took us thirty minutes from White River to the Numbi Gate. The roads near the park are full of pot holes so you are slowed down. Second day, we drove 2 hours to enter the Crocodile Bridge gate and exited the Phabeni gate. You have to plan that you are driving 12 hours all these days to see all that you will want to see. Third day we entered the Numbi gate and exited the Malelane gate. The only animals we missed were the cats. Locals said they have never seen leopards. We did talk to people that had seen lions on the drive from Satara to Lower Sabie. In my opinion, you do not need to be at the gate when it opens. We saw every animal later in the day. An early start just allows you to make it to the gate you want to exit. The speed limit in the park is around 20MPH but we were often going 4MPH or stopped watching an animal. The Phabeni gate had the worst road with construction stops as we went back to White River. I would suggest renting an SUV so that you will sit higher which allows better viewing. . We packed a soft side cooler and used it while there to have drinks and snacks in the car, handy as the next place to get out of your car is 3 hours away(st least at your speed). This leads me to also suggesting you take a container to catch urine!! On a seperate day we drove up to Blyde River Canyon and up to the dam. This also took all day with a side trip to Long Tom Pass and the falls, stopping for lunch in Sabie and on to God's window etc. Driving is not a fast as you would hope due to people and animals in the road. We had bought a Garmin GPS with a chip for South Africa maps and it was a life saver. Great to put in all the gates and towns before your trip. Hope this helps some. You will love everything about South Africa. It is safe to drrink the tap water everywhere. Never had to worry about getting ill from food or water. Hope this helps some. Enjoy!!

3. Re: Panorama route from Johannesberg to Kruger National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 14, 2014