We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yes or No to travel agent

Brooklyn, New York
9 posts
Save Topic
Yes or No to travel agent

Greetings:

My family and I are planning a trip to South Africa sometime in 2014 or 2015. Since we've never been.... I have no idea where to start or what expect. Therefore, I decided to consult with a travel agent for assistance. The agent in return provided an itinerary from Atlanta, GA to Johannesburg, and Cape Town for $4,000 per person. The rate includes air, hotel accommodations, transfers and tours for 8 days. Do you consider that to be a good rate?

Should I continue to work with a travel agent or plan the trip myself?

In-addition, can you please recommend must see tours.

Any information you provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks in-advance!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yes or No to travel agent

You are going to South Africa for 8 days? Seems kind of short for South Africa...

I am planning a family vacation to South Africa this summer. 3 weeks +.

I love planning my own trips, and usually make all of bookings on my own. However, I am currently working with an agent based in South Africa. I found it to be true that the agents there can get better rates than booking directly my own. Maybe this is a South Africa thing.

I found it very odd that your agent is having you flying out of Atlanta, GA when you are based in New York. There are direct flights out of New York. United for example fly out of New York to South Africa.

It seems most people travel to South Africa visit Cape Town, Garden Route, Kruger National Park, then add a side trip to visit Victoria Falls.

You might want to consider finding an agent based in South Africa. They know their country, and can advice you on what to do and see.

Brooklyn, New York
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yes or No to travel agent

Thanks for responding so quickly...sorry about the typo but some of family members will be flying out of Atlanta and New York. So I was looking for roundtrips tickets for each state. I would never had thought to consider finding a agent out of Africa. I really appreciate that suggestion.

In regards to 8 days...I wish I could stay 3 weesk, but we can't.

How long do you think we should stay? At least 10 - 14 days?

Thanks again...

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yes or No to travel agent

US to SA is a LONG trip. Stay as long as you possibly can. Takes a couple of days just to get over the jet lag.

Harare, Zimbabwe
Level Contributor
809 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yes or No to travel agent

2 weeks would be good.

It depends on what you want to do, buy I would suggest at the very least Cape Town and surrounds, the Garden Route, and Kruger.

Car hire is cheap and driving in SA is easy.

Have a look at www.safarinow.com They have loads of accommodation options as well as a tab for each area with suggested activities. It should give you some ideas.

I normally use a travel agent to book international flights- just in case anything goes wrong then they can sort it out - and I have had this happen in the past.... then do the rest myself.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yes or No to travel agent

I'm with the others 8 days is too short for such a long journey, you will need at least 2 weeks especially if you want to do a safari. We have never used a travel agent we only book flights, first few nights in Cape town, hire car then wing it, we have never had a problem finding accommodation we just stop off at the tourism office in each place and they let us know who has availability this has always worked for us and it was especially good last October when the weather was so bad and we had to keep changing our itinerary.

6. Re: Yes or No to travel agent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 21, 2014