We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A blog about our 25 days travelling across South Africa

Mauritius
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
A blog about our 25 days travelling across South Africa

Hello

We've just returned, two weeks ago, from our South African adventure and it was incredible! As I got a lot of advice on here before we left, I'd thought I'd share what we learnt from our trip.

On the blog you can see the distances for each part of our trip, and how long it took to travel; where we stayed, and how much our accommodation was, as well as tips on how to do a similar trip on a tighter budget. Plus there are lots of photos too and a few reflections about South Africa at the end. You can see it here:

…wordpress.com/2013/…

There's also another blog with pics on 23 things to do in and around Cape Town.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,375 posts
6,130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A blog about our 25 days travelling across South Africa

tessag24

Really enjoyed reading through the first part of your blog. Will have to put it down for now and finish later this evening. Have saved this thread for the future as well. Really good stuff, nicely composed blog of your trip. You certainly have put a lot of work into this. Thanks for that.

Mauritius
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A blog about our 25 days travelling across South Africa

Hi,

Pleased to hear you enjoyed it. Really appreciate the feedback. Hopefully it will be of use to someone. Take care.

Ontario, CAN
Level Contributor
491 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A blog about our 25 days travelling across South Africa

We are currently on an extended stay in South Africa and I'm blogging as well, but just for family and friends (by invitation). I know how much time it takes to do so....I haven't had time to post on the boards here at all! I have read a big chunk of yours and hope to finish it off.....good job and thank you! I am using blogger but may try wordpress next time. We are thoroughly enjoying our trip thus far by the way!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A blog about our 25 days travelling across South Africa

What a fantastic blog and the photos are great thanks for sharing.

Mauritius
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A blog about our 25 days travelling across South Africa

Thanks! Glad to hear it was useful. It literally took me a whole day to do. I'm on the job hunt having returned from four months in SA, so it was nice to break up the job applications by doing that.

Comunque, mi piace Italia piu di Sud Africa! Non posse vedere quando visitare Italia di nuovo!

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A blog about our 25 days travelling across South Africa

The bird is a Gymnogene. I think the buck is a Bushbuck, although not a good photo for ID purposes. It is a black backed jackal, but has a bad case of mange, which is why it looks such a strange colour. Oryx in the Drakensberg seem very unlikely, as they are desert animals, but maybe they have been relocated.

Not sure why you are suggesting a failed system like communism (nationalization) as a solution for the countries problems.

Edited: 11:56 pm, February 17, 2013
Kruger National...
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A blog about our 25 days travelling across South Africa

Excellent, really really excellent! Well done, and thank you for posting it for us to read.

All the best,

Jacqui

Mauritius
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A blog about our 25 days travelling across South Africa

Thanks for identifying everything! Really appreciated.

Nationalisation of natural resources alongside a public tender system that works and a 'living' wage isn't communism. It's merely working towards a society of better opportunities and resources for all within a democratic system that will not feed the coffers of foreign corporations at the expense of the people of South Africa. It would certainly be far better than the current corrupt and failing government. Though, this site probably isn't the best place to discuss political views. My blog is my opinion. You're free to have your own.

Edited: 4:19 am, February 18, 2013
Godalming
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A blog about our 25 days travelling across South Africa

thanks for this, really appreciate you sharing this thru tripadvisor and prepares our family for our own trip this summer.

Mauritius
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A blog about our 25 days travelling across South Africa

Great stuff! Pleased to hear it was helpful. Have a fantastic time! I'm sure you will. Take care. :)