We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nomad

Pretoria
1 post
Save Topic
Nomad

Hi all,

The complaint on the service was in 2010 - did their service improved?

Can anyone tell please.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nomad

Hi Sonja

My name is Jess and I'm from Nomad Africa Adventure Tours in Cape Town, South Africa.

Please could you let me know if this is the company that you're looking for information on? There are quite a few companies out there called "Nomad" so I'd just like to be sure!

If it is Nomad Africa Adventure Tours that you are looking for, I would like to respond to your question.

At Nomad Africa Adventure Tours, every member of the team prides themselves in exceptional service levels. We continuously seek feedback from our guests at the end of every tour and we ensure that every point is addressed, whether it's positive or negative.

One of the most important parts of travelling on an overland truck is that you have the correct expectations of the tour. Some of the complaints that we have on the forums are things like, no airconditioning, meals not served at a restaurant, not all trucks have lockers - these kinds of complaints come from the guests not having all of the information that they need to prepare themselves for an adventure tour through Africa.

However, we are not perfect and don't profess to be so. It is impossible to keep 100% of the guests happy 100% of the time. This is group travel and there are so many variables which will affect the tour, every second of the day. We go to every length to ensure that everyone is ecstatic with their tour and if there is anyone who is not satisfied, they are more than welcome to speak to their guide who is always in direct communication with the operations team. The operations team will assess the situation and make a decision while the guests are still on tour - this way guests will be able to get back to enjoying their tour rather than worrying about things that may be distressing them while on tour.

Please could you let me know if you have any particular concern, I would be more than happy to address it.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Mentioned in this post
Nomad Africa Adventure Tours
Nomad Africa Adventure...
187 Reviews
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
6 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nomad

My partner and I just got back from using Nomad in South Africa. I did a lot of research before going. I read a ton of great reviews and some not so great. I realize now, that the "not so great" reviews really came from those who might not have been a perfect match for this tour organizer. Here's the deal: if you want to spend 5-10 thousand dollars - look somewhere else. This tour will cost you pennies in comparison with the rest. However...... you will put up your own tent almost every night. You will shop for your own snacks and water. The food provided will be enough to keep you going, but not enough to stuff your face and be an American or a European pig. You will help with lunches and dinners, by washing dishes and setting up. You will be surrounded by a group of 10-15 people from around the globe. This is budget travel folks. You get what you pay for. Nevertheless.... They were professional, friendly, helpful, and we saw all the animals, wildlife, snakes, birds, scorpions, beetles, sunrises, and sunsets to last us a lifetime. I would not recommend this tour for anyone who is not used to sitting down for long periods of time, walking a lot, or anyone who is used to being treated like a princess. You will be rolling up your sleeves on this one. Feel free to ask questions if you have any. I will be using them again.

Mentioned in this post
Bruckberg
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nomad

Hallo,

my name ist Sorka and I'm just back at home in Germany after a 3 week journey from Johannesburg to Kapstadt. For me it was wonderfull. I'm normaly a critical person. Ok, a lot of things are not like in Germany, but I was good informed and I was interested to get a overview about the country, and I wont pay so much money . So I decided to go with Nomad on a campingtour. I allways felt safe, because we had a good driver and our cook was also very good. The toastbread was only sometimes toasted in the pan, but it was ok. I was not there to eat and to sleep in a spezial manner. I saw a lot of animals, sometimes they were near by. I also saw a lot of landscape, I had to sit a long time in the truck, but during the 3 weeks the truck became like my home. I was able to open the windows and there was not allways the noise from the airkondition.

I put together: I felt good and if I have time enough I choose Nomad for a second time to visit SA.

With best regards

Mentioned in this post
Johannesburg
Johannesburg
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
168 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nomad

Hi

We have been on 2 truck tours in Africa - one camping with Acacia and one accommodated with Nomad. Both were terrific and I would rec. them to anyone. One obviously is a bit more intrepid with more hands on, the other luxury in comparison for really not a lot more dollars.

I have rec. the accommodated tour to my friends who have booked this already - they want just that little bit less hands on, arriving at night to great accommodation, sitting down to a sundowner while waiting for your meal to be cooked and super knowledgeable guides.

Lou.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
14 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nomad

I took a 20 day Cap Town to Vic Falls tour with Nomad and it was an amazing experience. Our guides Maretha and Jaco were awesome and that makes a big difference, we had a great mixed group of people and few people complained because Nomad (and Huntley my travel rep at Escape4Africa (at that time he was with Go2Africa) were great about setting expectations and communicating the style of trip. Overlanding isn't for everyone, its for adventurers and people who like a more visceral participatory experience. You set your own tent, you don't sleep in a pampered lodge attended by service staff, you cook and clean with your truck mates and it is a great social experience. Sure its not fun spending 20-30 minutes cleaning dishes after eating but you feel more a part of the journey. I can't really explain it. I thought Nomads trucks (ours was Kurt) were fine, they aren't the best on the road but they were comfortable enough. The front office staff was helpful, food was good, no one got sick, we had a lot of fun times, and the cadence or schedule was just about right. The biggest influence of your time are your truck mates, the weather, and your crew. I would do Nomad again in a heartbeat, as a matter of fact I tried but my schedule prevented me from taking my second over landing trip this fall. I am taking Acacia on a Kenya & Tanzania tour, If I have an experience close to that I had with Nomad I would consider myself fortunate.

Here is a snapshot of my trip - wish I had my more trip focused on on youtube but its too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id1ri35vEoc

Bergen op Zoom, The...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Nomad

We have made the Nomads adventure tour from Cape Town to Vic Falls (20 days) with my wife and two kids (15 and 19). It was a splendid experience.

If you have read the information, provided by Nomad you will see that the information is reliable, honest and fair.

We booked for the campsite tour, so each evening putting up the tent and morning breaking up. Five minutes work, very easy to do.

A few special words have to be said about the guides, Amen and Victor.

These two deserve a statue for all they've done for the group and the individuals to please everyone. They created an atmosphere where-in everyone was willing to help each other. Breakfast, lunch, dinner: always served in a proper, hygienic way. My wife - strictly vegetarian - was excited by the way they paid attention for her: was the prepared meal the right way, was it enough etc.

Both knew and told lots of all the things we saw, biological as cultural details.

There is only one point of criticism: the program was - now and then - quite busy. For me, a visit to Windhoek was not necessary, although it was nice to have the possbility to do the laundry in a lodge.

We have decided to go another time, probably in 2014, the other way, that is to say: from Cape Town to Joburg via Kruger NP, so bye the eas-side. It would be really great if we could get them as guide again.

I would recommend this trip to everyone who is doubting to see somewhat of Namibia and Botswana.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Namibia
Namibia
Africa
Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nomad

Hi

I went on the tour with Nomad from Cape Town to the Vic Falls in July 2012 (camping). The trip was awesome and a kind of life experience. Our tour guides Patrick and Thabang did a great job. They were always friendly, helpful and responsible. We've never had any serious problems or difficulties. I felt all the time safe and well informed. We saw a lot of wild animals - thanks to Patrik's driving tactics and the food prepared by Thabang was just delicious.

I can highly recommend the tour for those people who're open minded. But I'd not recommend the trip for people who love to criticize everything and everybody. Just enjoy Africa. I'll come back... ;-)

Lovely greetings from Cape Town

Chris (Switzerland)

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Cape Town Central...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nomad

I did the Vic Falls to JHB tour a couple years back and it was sensational!

Nomad is an incredibly well priced, safe and reliable company which are the pillars of what one looks for in a tour company when venturing through Africa. Everything worked like clockwork and the guides, activities and time spent in the Overland truck were nothing short of memorable.

I made friends for life and would recommend the tour to anyone. As a South African who has done loads of independent travel through Africa, Nomad is an incredibly safe, secure, social-able and exciting way to see the worlds most engaging and interesting continent.

DO it!! You will not be disappointed!!

Mellieha, Malta
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Nomad

Hello,

We just came back from the beautiful SA where part of our tour, from JHB to PE, was with Nomad. Believe it or not this was our honeymoon, but it was just perfect. We opted for the accomodated tour which i highly recommend to honeymooners. The Nomad team was excellent and the tour was well organised. I would have never dreamt of visiting certain amazing places on our own. Thumbs up goes to reservations, in particular Claire, where she was all the time in touch with us making sure that the rest of trip (after we left the group at PE) was all going well.

I would surely recommend Nomad to anyone visiting Africa!! We want to visit Africa again one day and surely will not have any second tots to consider Nomad!!

Cape Town Central...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Nomad

I travelled with Nomad from Windhoek, Namibia to Victoria falls,Zimbabwe this year in January and I have only great things to say about this company. From the organization, to the guides, the food, the activities – it was all fantastic and I want to thank Nomad for providing me with such an amazing experience of Africa which I will never forget. Our guides were friendly, sociable, and helpful and looked after everyone in the group’s every need. The food was fantastic and catered for different dietary needs of the group. We had so much fun exploring the different places, animals and people of Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. I could just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!

I would definitely recommend this company to anyone – I think they are the best company out there to go with when considering an overland trip. The degree of organization and professionalism was outstanding.

Well done to the Nomad team, you will see me back soon for another adventure through Africa!

Regards Marius www.facebook.com/travelwithmarius

Mentioned in this post
Windhoek
Windhoek
Khomas Region, Namibia
Namibia
Namibia
Africa