We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Africa is getting too expensive

UK
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
South Africa is getting too expensive

Been to SouthAfrica 5 times now since 2004 and on every trip it is more expensive than the last time. This applies mainly to the cost of hotels & guest houses. You can stay in a 4 star hotel in say tenerife on half board cheaper than you can in a 3 star guest house in say Knysna.

Cape Town is even more expensive. We did a 4 week tour ending up in Cape Town so we knew the prices of most things by the time we got there. You can almost double the cost of most things in Cape Town and unfortunately it is spreading along the Garden route.

People are getting greedy anf if they are not careful they will kill the golden goose.

Edited: 5:59 am, December 26, 2011
vkb
mississippi
Level Contributor
686 posts
17 reviews
5 helpful votes
101. Re: South Africa is getting too expensive

I am in the midst of finalizing a trip to South Africa at the end of June.The twelve

day vacation is going to add up to $10,000-11,000. Four thousand will be airfare (economy class) and 6-7000 for the ten days on the ground in South Africa. We are planning on spending four days in Cape Town and another 5-6 on safari at "mid-range" lodges. That equals to US $ 600-700 a day and that is expensive with a doubt.

So yes South Africa is expensive but then most of us are willing to pay for a trip of a lifetime because very few places offer what South Africa does.

Is it good value for money? I don't know but I will find out in June

Edited: 9:46 am, February 08, 2013
Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
187 reviews
103 helpful votes
102. Re: South Africa is getting too expensive

VKB

"is it good value for money"?

YES!!!! :-)

George, South Africa
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
46 helpful votes
103. Re: South Africa is getting too expensive

Thanks nicmeljones, hopefully that settles it. This thread is more than a year old and one thing that always affects the perceived value for money for any long haul travel destination is the exchange rate. Since the OP posted this complaint in 2011, the South African Rand has dropped a lot in value (currently almost R9 to the dollar and over R14 to the pound) so for any visitor from a country with a comparatively strong currency (like the US, UK, Australia, Euro-zone) it is noticably less expensive to visit SA now than a year ago. Unlike many other safari destinations in Africa, South Africa does not charge in USD. And when converted to dollars, there are a number of excellent budget safari options available that cost below $250 USD per night. A self-drive trip in Kruger remains the most affordable and best value for money safari experience in all of Africa that I am aware of. And if you don't want to self-drive, there are lots of 3 day and 4 day guided open vehicle safaris available for below $1000 per person for a 3 night package, including meals, game drives and return transport from Johannesburg. I know many excellent guesthouses, B&B's and small lodges all over South Africa that charge less than $100 per person per night, some as little as $50. So I must agree with nicmeljones. "Is it good value for money?" YES!!!

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
187 reviews
103 helpful votes
104. Re: South Africa is getting too expensive

Thanks wild-wings. I'm happy to report that 2 weeks today I'll be sampling that very good value hospitality, friendship, excellent food & wine & as the snow yet again settles outside, WARM SUNSHINE!!

vkb
mississippi
Level Contributor
686 posts
17 reviews
5 helpful votes
105. Re: South Africa is getting too expensive

Wild-wings I haven't come across any $1000 packages for three nights. It is quite possible that I am not looking in the right place. I will be obliged to you if you can point me in the right direction. In the meantime, I am willing to pay what I can afford to take this trip. That does not mean that it is not expensive.I can't put a dollar figure on the thrill I will get when I see my first Cheetah in the wild or a rhino or a herd of Kudu etc. But any sensible person would agree that a 10 day vacation that costs $10,000 is expensive. This is especially true when majority of people do not make that much in a year.

Only I can be a judge of whether I have gotten good value for money and I will know in June once I have actually taken the trip

106. Re: South Africa is getting too expensive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, March 20, 2013
Richards Bay...
1 post
107. Re: South Africa is getting too expensive

I am a South African and find everything here is ridiculously expensive!! We visit our children in Toronto and find even with our poor dollar/rand exchange rate we get better value for money there. We can barely afford to go on holiday to our National Game Reserves its just too expensive. We always look for more affordable accomodation elsewhere and go in as day visitors. I am ashamed that we are ripping tourists off by expecting them to pay higher entrance fees at the gates as us!!! Thats what happens in a country of 51million people and only 6 million pay personal tax.

No matter what anyone tries to justify its shameful that tourists are being ripped off!!!

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
17 reviews
32 helpful votes
108. Re: South Africa is getting too expensive

UD$7500-$8000 including $4000 flights paid for 3 and half weeks in Kruger National Park with a hire car, fuel, food and accommodation (not camping) and alcohol for two people (not each). It depends entirely on what you want to do and HOW you want to do it.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5,601 posts
46 reviews
74 helpful votes
109. Re: South Africa is getting too expensive

nicmeljones

Couldn't agree more.

We have just booked flights for later this year and were able to get them 'free' via our rewards. Could not believe the tax we had to pay was over $1300 aust dollars !! We were very shocked and disappointed after all we have paid that much for a flight to JHB in past sales.

While we too find SA quite affordable while we are there, however this tax will have the flow on affect of less $ to spend after we arrive.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
110. Re: South Africa is getting too expensive

Ann G, it seems reasonable to allow citizens/residents to pay lower rates than us tourists. If I can afford to fly in, I can afford to pay a bit more to help keep the parks going. When I lived in Kenya, on much lower wages than I get here in th UK, I certainly appreciated residents rates as without them I wouldn't have been able to afford to isit the parks.