We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August weather

New Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
August weather

Hi,

I perused previous postings regarding the weather of South Africa in mid-August. Most are mixed- some saying that it gets very cold, some stating a lot of expectation for rain, and others (like my travel agent) saying that it is about 65 degrees.

Is there an average weather we should anticipate? Is a bulky winter jacket necessary at that time of the year? We will be spending a few days in Cape town before heading to Kruger Park.

Thank you.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August weather

Your travel agent needs to do a little research, I would say.. This page shows the weather for last August 15 - wunderground.com/history/…

And you can use the 'Weather History' link at the bottom to look at lots of Augusts from years gone by. This site is near the game reserves - wunderground.com/global/stations/68288.html and you can check it the same way.

In fact, you DO need layers for warmth, especially on your game drives, which start at dawn - and the PM drive continues after sunset if you are at a private reserve. I'd even take a packet of those little $1 raincoat things with the hood. I live not far from Cape Town part of the year and choose not to be there in August, if possible.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August weather

Then again it's in the middle of the whale watching season and the Namaqualand flowers should start flowering.

Having lived in Cape Town my whole life I would venture that Cape Town don't really get cold, understanding that people's perception of cold varies a lot.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August weather

Thanks, Lengau. IT iwas a bit disheartening to hear someone say they would rather not be in Cape Town in August....But given my job, I couldn't come any other season. And living in New Jersey, 50 degrees isn't cold- we are lucky if it gets that warm in the winter here! We are just hoping that it isn't 30 ish degrees and we need to drag our puff down parka!

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August weather

August is the start of spring in Kruger, much warmer than Cape Town in day time, should be mid or late twenties (celcius)

The huge benefit of going to Cape Town in August, I am told, is that the wind is not nearly rough as mid summer.

We were nearly literally knocked over by the wind last December (mid summer) in Cape Town, it really was no laughing matter.

Edited: 3:02 pm, April 01, 2011
Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August weather

As above - Kruger will be cool-cold at night and at dawn but generally lovely and warm in the daytime. Capetown will probably be cool-cold.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August weather

Hi

Could you confirm if august would be good time for caoe town visit for 5 days and then garden route post that for 4 days..am comin down for honey moon., hence wasnt sure whats the best time to visit SA...i would be doing shark and whale watching, bungee along with cape wineyard plus checking out the city in general, couple of days in hermanus and ostro.....do let me know if i should postpone the trip to sept or oct

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August weather

As Lengau has stated it is down to your own perception of cold - I was born and lived in SA and now live in UK for past 19 years and we only ever holiday in SA in August time for a number of reasons- the weather suits us, it is better than a UK summer - lovely bright sunny days during the day, cooler in the morning and evening especially in Cape Town but have never felt that we needed to wear thick big jackets as you head further towards the KZN part it gets warmer and warmer. Also an added bonus of going in August is that you can secure a lot of winter specials with accomodation and it is not considered the touristy season! Enjoy your trip

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August weather

hey nippers...thanks fr d update..well am cmin frm india wherein avg temp is around 30-35 degree celsius.. so anythin below 10 is cold ...however we can manage d cold, i was jus worried abt the rains..apparently the ifno i received was tht it rains quite a bit in august and the sun shine hours r pretty less compared to months of dec n jan..

...we wanna do bungee, shark cage, whale watching...and obviously the garden route..could you help me out n this one

Edited: 2:48 am, June 18, 2011
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August weather

hey nippers...thanks fr d update..well am cmin frm india wherein avg temp is around 30-35 degree celsius.. so anythin below 10 is cold ...however we can manage d cold, i was jus worried abt the rains..apparently the ifno i received was tht it rains quite a bit in august and the sun shine hours r pretty less compared to months of dec n jan..

...we wanna do bungee, shark cage, whale watching...and obviously the garden route..could you help me out n this one

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: August weather

well coming from India I can understand that you may feel that it will be cold in August

as for bungee bookcapetown.com/things-to-do/bloukraans-bun…

as for shark cage http://www.sharkcagediving.net/

http://www.sharkcagediving.co.za/

as for whale watching travelbutlers.com/south-africa/… sa-venues.com/activities/whale-watching.htm

and the garden route http://www.sa-venues.com/garden_route.htm capeadventurezone.com/cape-adventure-tours/… sa-venues.com/maps/garden-route-regional.htm