We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Days Cape Town to Port Elizabeth (Garden Route)

Solihull
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
10 Days Cape Town to Port Elizabeth (Garden Route)

Hi there

Just asking for some advice related to our honeymoon in September 2011. We've booked the flights and land in Cape Town on the 6th. The plan is to hire a car but stay in the Cape Town area for 4 nights before heading off on the 10th to go on the garden route to Port Elizabeth.

2 nights in Stellenbosch

2 nights in Hermanus/De Kelders (more likely to be De Kelders)

2 nights in Oudtshoorn

3 nights in Knysna

1 night in Port Elizabeth (early morning flight to Kruger via JHB)

I read in another thread about the drive from De Kelders to Oudtshoorn hence the 2 nights there. I guess we'd aim to arrive mid-late afternoon so we then have a full day to explore.

I'm really asking for advice related to the 3 nights in Knysna. Is this a good place to base ourselves to minimise checking in/out all the time or should we alternatively look at staying for a night in say Wilderness, Plettenberg Bay and Stormsriver. I'm happy to drive but it seems a bit a bit silly going back on ourselves which we might have to do if we're in Knysna!

I've read a lot of other posts and they're incredibly helpful but I just want to make sure I'm doing what's best our trip!

Many thanks

Chris

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Days Cape Town to Port Elizabeth (Garden Route)

Not much wrong with your plans, looks well planned and worked out.

I rate Hermanus as one of the finest holiday destinations in the country. And I really travel a lot.

So, do stay in Hermanus as long as you can. Do not hesitate for a moment.

I recommend Pacem holiday house (www.eirene.co.za) in this town.

I personally would swap Oudsthoorn for Stormsrivier. Nothing wrong with Oudsthoorn, Stormsrivier just is better. Much better IMO. Others may disagree.

Stormsrivier really is in another league. Believe me. There you hike to the hangbridge, suntan on the small beach or enjoy the sunset from the restaurant deck.

The only thing about Stormsrivier is that once there you are close to nature, and far from anything else. Only Plettenberg bay is close.

With regards to your 3 nights question, I would defintely NOT check in/ out for 3 days.

If you want a quiet spot as a base for 3 days, stay in Stormsriver for 3 days.

If you want to visit good restaurants and get around, Knysna is better as a base. This town is a very good base, actually.

Superb holiday destination. I recommend the Quay 4 restaurant in this town for a long lunch and more than one visit to the Knysna heads.

I find Wilderness a little bit lacking in infrastructure, though quite scenic.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Days Cape Town to Port Elizabeth (Garden Route)

Looks good. Plenty to do in Cape Town and its worth doing a day trip to the Cape of good hope. Unfortunately I missed Kynsa and ended up in George instead. Not much to be said for that. Oodshoorn is amazing and you can do some really great stuff there like going into the canga caves, petting cheetahs and riding an ostrich. You can see loads of pics and get more info on CT and oodshoorn on my travel site which may give you some ideas at www.angietravels.com

have a great trip

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Days Cape Town to Port Elizabeth (Garden Route)

I'm for De Kelders - since I have a house there myself.. you can drive to Hermanus.. And I am for Knysna all 3 nights. Medium price self catering - I like this group. Two locations, accommodations somewhat different from each other: http://www.abalonelodges.co.za/ I have stayed at the ones that overlook the Heads, as have clients. We all liked them. A bigger budget? http://www.thelofts.co.za/ Stay here..

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Cape Town
Level Contributor
733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Days Cape Town to Port Elizabeth (Garden Route)

Navigator31: I am one of those people who would disagree with you about Oudtshoorn. Combining the little Karoo with the Garden Route is a great way of seeing two very different parts of our country and I love the drive from Hermanus to Oudtshoorn.I also think Oudtshoorn is worth a visit for Just the Meerkat Adventures Tour and the Cango Caves.

Mark September

Small World Tours

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Days Cape Town to Port Elizabeth (Garden Route)

Just another thought. September is the end of winter and the weather in the Cape is still unreliable. You will get some lovely days but are likely to get wet, grey, even stormy days as well. On that basis maybe think about your ratio of 4 days Cape Town to 10 days along the Coast. If the weather is poor there is so much more to do in and around Cape Town than just sit and look at the grey windswept ocean.

If you spend your time more like 50:50 Cape Town/Winelands to the rest then you can be flexible and pick the best days as they arrive for day trips to the winelands (just 35 mins from the city), down the peninsula or up the West Coast (this is the peak time of year for the spectacular wild flower displays here). The days that are not so good fit in museums, galleries, the Aquarium, shopping and the other things that you can do in and around a big city.

BTW agree with Mark about Oudtshoorn. Plus at this time of year the Little Karoo will be (on avarage) much drier and warmer than the coast!

Edited: 1:44 am, January 20, 2011
Prato, Italy
Level Contributor
2,157 posts
773 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Days Cape Town to Port Elizabeth (Garden Route)

We made this trip last year.

knysna is nice but we liked much more plettenberg bay.

staying there you can go in knysna for a day..maybe it's enough.

we also spent two nights in wilderness where are two fantastic restaurants,good park experiences an a really beautiful beach.

Saluti

stefano

7. Re: 10 Days Cape Town to Port Elizabeth (Garden Route)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 22, 2012