We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 Nights: Cape Town, Safari, Winelands for 20-somethings

NY, NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
11 Nights: Cape Town, Safari, Winelands for 20-somethings

Hi!

My boyfriend and I are spending 11 nights in South Africa in mid-March. We're flying into and out of Cape Town, but would like to explore more of the country as well. We're 25 and on a bit of a budget (not thinking youth hostels, but not high-end luxury either!). Do you have any suggestions for a potential budget friendly itinerary? I would like to do the following...although I realize this list is too long at the moment!

1. Explore Cape Town

2. Winelands

3. Safari (sounds like Kruger is best...but I'm apprehensive about the cost of the flight, etc....is going to Kruger worth it, or should I check out some reserves closer to Cape Town?)

4. Victoria Falls (seems far from Cape Town...)

5. Time for sunbathing and relaxation (will this be possible in mid-March...it looks like it should be warm)

6. Garden Route (...or part of it)

7. Durban (worth it given I only have 11 nights?)

Any suggestions on a potential itinerary or other recommendations would be appreciated! This is my first trip to this part of Africa. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Victoria Falls
Victoria Falls
Matabeleland North Province, Zimbabwe
Garden Route
Garden Route
108 Reviews
Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 Nights: Cape Town, Safari, Winelands for 20-somethings

With only 11 nights you should leave out Kruger, Vic Falls and Durban and just concentrate on Cape Town, Winelands, safari and the Garden Route.

The cheapest to do the trip would be to hire a small car and stay in B&Bs/guesthouses - smaller and often nicer than hotels and LOTS to choose from on any budget. Check out websites like Safarinow.com for ideas of prices.

March should be warm and dry so you can easily get your beach fix in Cape Town (although the water is cold all year round). If you want warmer water, spend a few nights in a beachy town somewhere along the Garden route. Wilderness or Storms river area are popular stops. You can do the winelands as a day-trip from Cape Town (they are less than an hour drive) or you can stay in this region for a night or two.

Some itineraries

More time on the coast & in Cape Town:

4 nights in Cape Town. Drive along the N2 Garden route highway to Knysna area (5 hour drive from Cape Town) and spend 2-4 nights in the Knysna/Wilderness/Storms River area.

Drive to Addo National Park, spend 2-3 nights there.

Fly from Port Elizabeth (city nearest to Addo) back to Cape Town.

Spend your last 2 nights either in the winelands near Cape Town, or on the Cape Peninsula on the beach.

More time driving the drier inland wineroute:

4 nights Cape Town. Drive along the R62 wine route inland. Overnight 1 night in Montagu and 1 night in Oudtshoorn. Drive to Knysna area and stay for minimum 2 nights. Drive to Addo & spend minimum 2 nights there. Fly back to Cape Town & home.

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Garden Route
Garden Route
108 Reviews
Wilderness
Wilderness
Storms River
Storms River
Tsitsikamma National Park, South Africa
Knysna
Knysna
Addo
Addo
Sundays River Valley, South Africa
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Montagu
Montagu
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
NY, NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 Nights: Cape Town, Safari, Winelands for 20-somethings

Thank you for the suggested itinerary - this is very helpful!

NY, NY
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 Nights: Cape Town, Safari, Winelands for 20-somethings

Thank you for the suggested itinerary - this is very helpful!

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 Nights: Cape Town, Safari, Winelands for 20-somethings

If you drive the garden route why not go a bit further to Addo, just outside Port Elizebeth, you can stay in the park overnight for about 500 - 900rand per rondaval. Lots of Ellies, Lions and recently expanded.

In your time scale wouldnt bother with Durban or Kruger. Save them for a longer trip next time.

Make sure you drive Chapmans Peak in Cape Town. I may see you there we are over mid March - start of April.

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Robertson Cape...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 Nights: Cape Town, Safari, Winelands for 20-somethings

Ich würde vorschlagen, gleich raus aus der Stadt richtung Winelands nach Robertson über Route 62 Oudtshoorn, Addo und Gardenroute zurück nach Kapstadt. Es gibt zahlreiche hilfsbereite Gästehäuser Suedafrika net und Sa-Reise sind sehr hilfreiche Seiten.

Mentioned in this post
Robertson
Robertson
Oudtshoorn
Oudtshoorn
Addo
Addo
Sundays River Valley, South Africa
6. Re: 11 Nights: Cape Town, Safari, Winelands for 20-somethings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:43 am, January 20, 2012
;