We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camperhire itinerary - 6/11 - Comments invited

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Camperhire itinerary - 6/11 - Comments invited

Hello,

We're thinking about flying into Johannesburg, renting a camper (motorhome here in the US), and driving first to Kruger; then to the coast (Ndume to St. Lucia, then as far south as Richards Bay), then back to J'burg via Zululand (Battlefields). Our trip is scheduled for late June, 2011.

My questions:

- Is it possible/practical to drive through Swaziland en route to the coast so we don't have to backtrack?

- I know June is winter in SA, and that wildlife viewing is said to be excellent then because of the lack of leaves. But how will the landscape look -- dried and desiccated (like southern California in fall)? Is there any possibility of lush, wet greenery anywhere at that time of year?

- What about snow in the Drakensberg? We don't mind the cold (it's a novelty to us) but is it smart to take a camper up there at that time?

- The campground situation- some places trumpet activities like golf and paintball (thanks, but no thanks), some advertise the fact that they have electric fences (for animals or for people??). How do we find nightly stops that are neither trying to imitate Disneyland nor resemble armed camps?

- I'm assuming the trip I've outlined is doable within 2 weeks. Is that realistic?

- We don't like fixed itineraries where you "have" to be at a particular place on a particular day. However, is it sensible to proceed without all the campground reservations mapped out in advance? I know we will be facing the start of the winter school holidays. Big factor in planning, or not?

= Back to the green and lush: can we expect a lot of water in the St. Lucia area, or will this be dry as well?

Thanks in advance- TA has guided me through Hawaii, Guatemala, the UK, and eastern Europe, so I know whom to ask.

Sylvia in L.A.

1. Re: Camperhire itinerary - 6/11 - Comments invited

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, March 26, 2011