We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swellendam to Plettenberg

UK
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Swellendam to Plettenberg

During our trip to SA in November we have planned a stopover in Swellendam. What would be the most scenic route to drive from Swellendam to Plettenberg and how long should we allow for the journey - taking into account any scenic stopoffs on the way and lunch, etc ?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swellendam to Plettenberg

The route normally taken is that of the N2 national highway slightly inland from the coast. This is what we call the "Garden route" and there are many posts about it on this sight. Maybe read some of them for ideas? Towns like Mosselbay, George, Wilderness and Knysna are on your way to Plett and all special in their own way.

Knysna, Wilderness and George are all close together and a decent day-trip from Plett, so you could always see them later. You can stop half-way for lunch in Mosselbay.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swellendam to Plettenberg

I forgot to say how long it would take. If you drove straight, without stopping it should take about 4 hours, maybe 5.

UK
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swellendam to Plettenberg

When I asked for most scenic route I was actually thinking should we consider Riversdale to Oudtshoorn on the R323 and then down the N12 to George and on to Plettenberg rather than the obvious N2 direct. Would this be a reasonably leisurely day's journey and worth the detour?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swellendam to Plettenberg

Hi again. Ive actually never done that route, so I cant advise you on it. Hopefully someone else will post who has been on that road.

The N2 route, although the main highway is very pretty. Its also fast because it has 2 lanes in many places. If you are driving back to Cape Town via the N2 then it might be good to take the R323 for some different scenery. It will have less traffic, but the road might not be as good.

The R62 (not sure if it intersects the R323 anywhere) is a good route from Oudtshoorn to the winelands near Cape Town.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Swellendam to Plettenberg

I think we need to know which route you are planning to get to Swellendam in the first place as you dont want to be back-tracking on yourself. Are you coming from Cape Town - if so will you be taking the N2 route or the route via Worcester, Robertson and Ashton? The journey from Swellendam to Ashton is extremely beautiful. If you are coming from Cape Town on the N2 to Swellendam you could take this route via Ashton and Montagu to Oudtshoorn and then over the pass to George and on to Plett. Most of this is very scenic and you would only be skipping Mossel Bay which is not that serious. It is a LOT longer (but a lot more rewarding) than taking the direct route from Swellendam to Mossel Bay,George,etc.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
UK
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swellendam to Plettenberg

After a few days in Capetown we are driving to the wine region staying in Franschoek. Our plan was then to drive to Swellendam via Hermanus (no stopover). It's then on to Plett where we have booked a three night stay - then on to Tsitsamma area and finally a game reserve before flying home from PE.

We could perhaps take in the Ashton to to Swellendam route on the way in from Hermanus.

Swellendam to Plett - although you say the drive would be rewarding you do seem to be indicating we are taking on too much with such a long drive. How many hours are we talking about ?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
462 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Swellendam to Plettenberg

The direct route via the N2 should take no more than 4 hours. The route via Ashton, Oudtshoorn and George will take several more hours and I would recommend that you stop over in Oudtshoorn if you take this option. It will give you time to visit the Cango caves, ostrich and cricodile farm, etc.

I would definitely not take the Ashton route from Cape Town if you are intending to visit Hermanus. They are on opposite sides of the mountain range.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
UK
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swellendam to Plettenberg

We don't have the available time to stay over in Oudtshoorn so it looks like the most sensible option is to take the direct shorter route on this occasion.

It's our first trip to SA so hopefully we like it enough to return and then we can take in the other routes.

Thanks for the advice - it confirms what we suspected about trying to do too much rather than enjoying the day.