We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

URGENT -help required

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,125 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Topic
URGENT -help required

need advice on durban...2nd post but NO reply...

1. staying in cape town for week in 10 days for work.

2. have three days available for relaxation.

3.thinking of catching plane to durban...beach resort..experience sth africa.. beaches.

4. is this a good option...is their other better places to do?

5. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

6. can we swim at this time of year.

7. are we better doing something different.

help is required on travel plan.

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
273 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: URGENT -help required

Don't know how much help this will be but here it is: I've visited Durban 3 times to stay with friends. We don't go downtown at night unless in a car and know where we're going, it's a bit scary. It would not seem wise to go into town unless your're with people who know where to go. There are some great restaurants and markets to be found. The golden mile was a mile of typical holiday beach, we much preferred the beach further north at Umhlanga and Ballito. The best thing I would do is undoubtedly travel up to Hluhluwe/Umfolozi and spend the time there, big 5, lovely place. If you want beach they are wild and beautiful up towards St Lucia and beyond at Sodwana. Also the drakensberg are fab, I went to stay at Didima lodge nr Caterines Peak, outstanding. I've always gone at Christmas time when the weather is great. It's just starting the summer soon I believe, so the weather should be good although the sea is not so warm. All this depends on transport though so it may not have been much help. Good luck.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,125 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: URGENT -help required

Dear snorkel babe,

Thanks so much for replying....but how far are places such as Umhlangao and Ballito from Durban? Can we catch bus etc...?Or do we need car. So Durban is unsafe at night...is it worse than Cape Town?

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
273 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: URGENT -help required

hi again, ballito and umhlanga about 20mins north of durban in car. I'm afraid I don't know about buses. Haven't been to CT so can't compare. Presumably if you have work contacts in CT they could offer the practical information about transport etc. I know that Durban is a popular beach holiday destination and if you stay in reasonable beachfront hotel, they will recommend places to visit and safe forms of travel. Any of the SAfrica brochures show the Durban hotels.

Our friends have lived in Durban suburbs for 20yrs and they are always going 'downtown' at night but always by car. Parking tends to be right outside restaurants so never really need to walk anywere. I hope this is of some help. Don't know why others havent replied.

Sue.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,125 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: URGENT -help required

Thanks for your assistance...i will investigate a little more on your suggestions.

Yes...where are the tripadvisors???? in Aussie land this question would have had twenty replies. I'm beginning to think I asked a really stupid question.LOL

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,125 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: URGENT -help required

Thanks for your assistance...i will investigate a little more on your suggestions.

Yes...where are the tripadvisors???? in Aussie land this question would have had twenty replies. I'm beginning to think I asked a really stupid question.LOL

Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,178 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: URGENT -help required

Hey. Sorry I didnt reply - I was on holiday and I think when I looked for unreplied-to replies I must have missed this one.

You didn’t say what time of the year you are going - is it soon? At the moment the weather will be pretty decent everywhere in South Africa, as it is spring.

You don’t need to go all the way to Durban to experience South African beaches - the beaches in the Cape area are great. The only thing is that the ocean is a bit cold. If you really want to swim, head east along the garden route, wild coast or Durban area. The previous suggestions about Umlhanga are good. I’m from Durban and my advice would be to stay out of the city. Maybe go visit some of the attractions there, but rather stay outside of the city – it’s a bit touristy and not the prettiest city. The beaches in the city are also not the best. Head either north or south from Durban and the beaches (and areas) are quieter, prettier and just better.

But with only 3 days why travel all the way to the other side of the country to experience the beaches? Would you not consider staying in the Cape? And where are you flying out of – Johannesburg or Cape Town? Because maybe heading North from Joburg and seeing the wildlife would also be a better suggestion than going to beaches? I’m sure you have fantastic beaches in Oz, but you don’t have lions and elephants?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
31,125 posts
2,006 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: URGENT -help required

Thanks for your suggestions. Staying at Cape town for conference. Have three days in middle spare. Thinking of beaches because have been before to National Parks and Sun City which I loved.

Last time in CT it was so cold and it was October. Brought only summer clothes and froze most of the time. Thinking Durban would have a little more sunshine and warmth.

Now thinking Umhlanga....The Oyster Box Hotel overlooking ocean...do you know it ?

Just looking for different experience in your country.

Anymore suggestions would be great !!

Flying from JOberg home to Sydney...so don't want to repeat same journey twice. Thinking catch flight from CT to durban would be easier as have to return to CT for another conference, before heading home.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: URGENT -help required

Hi, Durban is MUCH more unsafe than Cape Town, stay in Umhklanga or a suburb! You will need a car, don't even think about using public transport.

Umfolozi game resort is Fantastic though. Or for peace and quiet, Mtunzini (3 hours north of Durban) - 2 hours from Umfolozi. We stayed in the forest lodge - very nice, set in a nature reserve.