We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

*Very Exciting* - Wedding/Honeymoon Itinerary

Galway, Ireland
1 post
Save Topic
*Very Exciting* - Wedding/Honeymoon Itinerary

So like alot of other I see, we are travelling to SA to get married & have a quick honeymoon all in one :-)

Our itinerary is basically this & I'm looking to see if anyone can make any better suggestions for the overnight stops or tell us what NOT to miss on our trip :-) We are heading at beginning of sept.

2 nights Capetown

Fly PE onto Kwandwe - 4 nights inc wedding for two ;-)

Collect Car in PE - onto Tsitsikamma Lodge for 1 night

Then to Wilderness for 2 nights (taking in Outdshoorn on a day trip), staying at Palms Wilderness Guest House.

Then big drive to Hermanus for one night & whale watching following morning.

Then onto Franschhoek for one night.

Back to CapeTown for 2 nights.

A bit quick but I think it will give us the highlights of the areas. Anyone recommend accommodation in franschhoek?

thanks,

J.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: *Very Exciting* - Wedding/Honeymoon Itinerary

Hi Jewels

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. The itinerary looks fine. Obviously the dates in Kwande is fixed - you have an appointment! So 2 nights in Cape Town front and back are a good idea. As you don't have a car at first, do things on the first two days close to where you are staying - if you don't have accommodation booked yet and your budget will stretch look at the Cape Heritage, a wonderful romantic hotel for soon-to-be and newly weds right in the centre of things. Pick up a ticket for the hop-on-hop-off bus and, if the weather is clear go up Table Mountain. If you stay at the Cape Heritage you have a bus stop right close by.

When you get back to Cape Town with the car you can then do a day trip out from the city down to Cape Point taking in Camps Bay, Hout Bay harbour, Chapmans Peak Drive (hopefully reopened by September) and then back via Boulders Beach for the penguins, Simonstown and Kalk Bay to the city.

BTW Wilderness to Hermanus is less than four hours driving on fast main road so plenty of times for stops. Just look out for speed cameras in the 60 and 80 limit areas near towns!

Usually stay in Stellenbosh when I am staying in the winelands, rather than Franschhoek but others will give you suggestions.

Manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: *Very Exciting* - Wedding/Honeymoon Itinerary

Having just returned from our honeymoon in South Africa I have to say that I am very envious of anyone who I hear is travelling to this amazing country!

Our route was obviously different but my advice would be definitely try and stay in Tsitsikamm national park on the beach front (we didn't but wished we had - instead we travelled in from Knysna). The setting is fabulous and the atmosphere was great with lots of people cranking up their balcony BBQs and getting ready to watch the sunset. Having stayed in Knysna, which we found rather disapponting and very touristy, I wish we had stuck with our original plan to stay in Wilderness and Tsitsikamma.

Cape Town is obviously not to be missed. We stayed there at the start and end of our trip and can recommed both places we stayed very highly - 51 on Kloofnek, and 51 Camps Bay. The latter has an amzing honeymoon suite with a huge wrap-a-round balcony with great views. Camps Bay is a great place to base yourself (centre a very easy drive or around £6 each way in a taxi). Kloofnek is also a very cool area with lots of bars and restaurants - both were very safe to walk around.

Fransschoek is amazing and, if you can, certainly worth at 2 nights. It has fab restaurants (food is great everywhere in SA but none more so than here) and wineries. We hired mountain bikes and went to some vineyards and also did some horseriding in the hills (amazing scenery). The Plumowood Inn comes highly recommended.

All in all, you will have a fab time wherever you chose to go (Hermanus area is obviously a must if you are in Whale season)as the country is amazing, the people are friendly and the scenery is breathtaking. Enjoy and good luck for the big day!

Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
Level Contributor
304 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: *Very Exciting* - Wedding/Honeymoon Itinerary

Manchester,

Who did you use for horseback riding in Franschhoek?

Manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: *Very Exciting* - Wedding/Honeymoon Itinerary

We used Paradise Stables for the horseriding - it was arranged by our accomodation (Plumwood Inn). I think they do a variety of tours (2 hour or 4 hour horesback rides that take in some wine tastings - which can include a picnic lunch etc). We had already made a lunch reservation at bread and wine, so our options were a little limited - so we went on a 2 hour scenic ride up the side of the mountain overlooking the area and through vineyards (no tasting). It was great - the views were fab and the horses well behaved!

Weybridge
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: *Very Exciting* - Wedding/Honeymoon Itinerary

I would re-endorse the comments about Paradise Stables - several of my customers have also given me similar feedback of their experience with them.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: *Very Exciting* - Wedding/Honeymoon Itinerary

Hi J

Viewing the whales at Hermanus is great, but you can easily see them from the shore. I heard they get close to the shore but was blown away just how close they do get. You could throw a stone at em, so to speak.

Dont rule out Great White Shark diving at Gansbaii.

Its only a short drive from Hermanus around the bay and was brillant, much more exciting and dont worry very safe. If you did a morning trip youd still have time to see the whales, plus easily drive onto Franshoek that afternoon.

Have a good one

Geoff

7. Re: *Very Exciting* - Wedding/Honeymoon Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 07, 2009