We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do near Port Elizabeth

Belfast
2 posts
Save Topic
What to do near Port Elizabeth

Hi

I am travelling to South Africa for the British Lions tour and in between matches am intending to fly from Jo'burg to Port Elizabeth and then drive to a game reerve for a couplf of nights, I then need to head back towards Port Elizabeth for a couple fo nights and don't really want to be more than 1 hours drive from the airport.

Can anyone reccomend any towns that are nice to stay in ? How is Port Elizabeth for a couple of nights??

Thanks

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,674 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do near Port Elizabeth

Port Elizabeth itself is a nice place to stay for a couple of nights but I would suggest you overnight in a hotel close to the Boardwalk (Waterfront) where there are a lot of restaurants and where the action is.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do near Port Elizabeth

The Port Elizabeth airport is very central. I suggest you stay in one of the 2 best areas in town -Humewood or Summerstrand. Humewood is 5 minutes from the airport and Summerstrand is 10. The 2 areas make up what we call the beachfront. The Courtyard Suites (part of the City Lodge group) probably have the best position and view of the hotels, and are very reasonable. There is also the cheaper Road Lodge (like a TravelLodge or Formula 1) and the City Lodge itself. 4 * hotels include the Marine and the Beach.

The nicest town close to Port Elizabeth is Graaff Reinet. www.graaffreinet.co.za It is 250km inland from Port Elizabeth. I am not sure that you want to go that far?

Seaside towns close by are Port Alfred and Kenton on Sea, but they (particularly Kenton) might be a bit dead in winter. (But if you want beaches to yourself ...) They are conveniently close to most of the game reserves, especially Kariega and Amakhala.

Belfast
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do near Port Elizabeth

Thanks for your responses. I will spend the 2 nights in Port Elizabeth by the beach.Looking forward to it

Regards

Clive

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do near Port Elizabeth

Hi Clive

You say “between matches” you plan to fly down to PE from Joburg. This sounds like it is not for the game in PE on June 16 but between the 2nd and 3rd tests in Pretoria on June 27th and Joburg on July 4th.

If this is the case then why fly back down to the Eastern Cape for Game viewing. Especially as in June/July the better Game Viewing areas are in the North of the country accessible directly from Pretoria. The Kruger Park region takes less than 5 hours to drive from Pretoria – about the same time as it will take to get to Joburg airport, check-in, fly to PE and get through the airport there. You still then have to drive or transfer to the Game Reserve you would be staying at. So you would be amongst the animals in Kruger long before you could get to Shamwari, Addo etc. and without the costs of additional flights.

The weather in Kruger at this time is likely to be much better than PE. Average daily maximum of 24C with cold nights and virtually no chance of rain. Compare to PE with Av. daily maximum around 18C and about the same amount of rain as Belfast in the winter. The dry winter weather in Kruger makes this the optimum game viewing period as the grass and scrub is not high and the animals congregate more round the waterholes. The only disadvantage compared to the Eastern Cape is that you will need to take malaria pills for Kruger – not a problem for 95pc of people. If this was a big issue there are other alternatives which are malaria free which are even nearer to Pretoria such as Pilansberg.

Also remember in July beaches anywhere on the south coast are for watching the wild waves not for lying on! So unless you have any other reason to go to PE, such as visits to friends or family, then why not consider Kruger.

5. Re: What to do near Port Elizabeth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 16, 2009