We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My itinerary

Essex
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Topic
My itinerary

Hello,

We are planning to honeymoon in South Africa at the beginning of October. So far we've decided we'd like to visit Madikwe (4 or 5 nights - is this too long?) and Cape Town/Camp's Bay (3 nights). I'm now a bit stuck for where else we could go. We aren't planning to hire a car but might consider this. We plan to fly into JNB and out of CPT, with an internal flight in between. Could anywhere suggest somewhere else for another couple of days please? Are there any beaches with warm weather during October?

Thank you

Gemma

Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,136 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My itinerary

warm beaches are hard to find near Cape Town, so unless you are willing to fly to Durban, this option is out. Other than that there are 3 obvious places to stay in between:

- Sun City, the place I can say the least about, because I haven't been there, but gamble the night away there, if this is your cup of tea.

- The Winelands, for me a must, one of the most beautiful places I have visited, enjoy the beautiful landscapes and the fine dining at Franschhoek or the lively urban student scene in Stellenbosch, consider staying at a winery or one of the many spa hotels!

- Hermanus, the unoffical "whale capital" of the world. While Hermanus is nice, but no too spectecular, the Route 44 is one of the most scenic I have driven, and whale watching at Hermanus is world renowned.

BTW, 3 nights in Cape Town is a bit short, 4 might be ideal. Consider one day for the trip to the Cape of Good Hope, one day for Robben island and a township tour, which leaves you one day for "Downtown" Cape Town itself, doable but a bit short, considering the many sights worth considering (Table Mountain, Botanical Garden, Parliament, Long Street, V&A Waterfront and Canal Walk shopping malls, Bo Kaap, afternoon tea at Mount Nelson Hotel... you name it)

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My itinerary

Hi Gemma! Great to hear that you've chosen our beautiful country as your honeymoon destination! I have just returned from 6 nights in the Madikwe Game Reserve, where I visited a variety of lodges, and I don't think that 4 or 5 nights will be too long for a safari there! Some of the lodges are located in areas that offer better game viewing than others, so as long as you choose your lodge wisely, you will have a great time! You could even split your stay between 2 lodges, with possibly doing 2 nights at the one, and 3 nights at another.

I agree that an extra night or 2 for Cape Town would be good, as 3 nights doesn't give you enough time for this beautiful city! You could consider adding a night or 2 in the winelands - i.e. in Franschhoek or in a beautiful place like Hermanus, to view the whales?

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

Tanya * owner * Africa Direcgt

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: My itinerary

Forget the beaches. If you want beach & safari - go to Kenya or Tanzania. Instead, take in some of the other site of interest around CT. As for 4 or 5 days being too long on safari - you can laze in the bush just as well as you can on a beach! A visit to a safari lodge can be as relaxed as you like. Try one with a spa.

Essex
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My itinerary

Thank you all, this has given me some food for thought!

I am particularly interested in Madikwe - which game reserves are the recommended ones?

Thanks again,

Gemma

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,088 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: My itinerary

Hi Gemma

I am not sure about going to Sun City on your honeymoon! Do you want to spend time gambling when you have just taken a step which, we all hope, will not be a gamble!

Agree about spending the rest of your time based in the Cape Town area. City and Winelands. October can be great – Spring going into Summer. Plenty of sunshine although still a chance of a day or two’s rain. Don’t worry that you won’t have enough to do. Look at the current parallel thread on here about what you can do in Cape town in 4 days, one week, two weeks or more!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312659-i9466-k249…

You will have a wonderful time.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My itinerary

Hi again Gemma - regarding your question on which lodges are highly recommended - if you could give us an idea of how much you are willing to spend ("per person per night") on a safari lodge, as well as what level of luxury you are looking for, we will be able to recommend the best possible lodges that would suite your budget. Rates vary considerably - from about R2000 pppn to R6000 pppn and I'm sure you will appreciate the fact that there is no use in the contributors to this forum recommending lodges that do not fall within your budget requirements to you!

Tanya * owner * Africa Direct

7. Re: My itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, September 05, 2009