We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Travel

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Family Travel

We are considering taking our family on a 3 week trip to South Africa, including various game reserves. Our sons will be 8 and 13 at the time we travel. We have heard that it is better to wait until your children are at least 10 years as some reserves/hotels do not wish to have children under 10-12 years of age.

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has undertaken such a trip with young children.

Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Family Travel

We are getting ready to depart on a 4 weeks holiday with our 3 children aged 10,9 and 6. We plan to spend 3 nights at Kruger. We have hired a toyota Condor which I believe is a good car for touring and we intend to drive ourselves around the game parks for a few hours morning and evening each day and resting at the lodge during the midday sun. I believe that is the most sensible way of doing it. My husband and I spend 4 weeks in Zimbabwe 10 years ago and we travelled around all the main reserves this way. Make sure you protect them against malaria!

Mary

uk
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Family Travel

Have been to Kruger Park with children ynder age of eight. We used a hire car. We went out early in the mornings the kids took a drink and a small snack with them, we returned to camp for breakfast and they had a run around. We then set out again planning the drive to end up at a camp around lunch time. We went out game viwing again in afternoon. You have to be back in camps before dark. As long as you have some refreshments for the kids with you they should be fine. Ours were so interested in looking out for animals they did not get bored or restless at all.

Kate

13. Re: Family Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:33 pm, April 30, 2005
Durban
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Family Travel

Greetings From Durban !!

South Africa is very family friendly and orientated.

Most Hotels have family rooms and the National Parka all have guest cottages with two or three bedrooms for families.

South Africans are great travellers within our borders and hence their are plenty self catering resorts that has many a facility for children.

A word of warning - most game activities eg drives and walks do not cater for under 12 year olds.(thats if you gonna do them with the reserves) Just do your home work well and look for those game reserves that caters for children as well. They do exist !!

Also depending on the season you visit your local travel clinic will advise you best on malaria tablets - not all are suitable for children so make sure you look into that as well.

Other than that bring your family - it will more than likely be their best holiday ever !!!

What better than being 8 years old and seeing elephants and giraffes and zebras walking freely in the wild.