We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need rental car recommendation

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need rental car recommendation

Require a car to drive from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town next month. Can anyone recommend a reliable car rental agency or broker with good rates?

Thanks for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
Johannesburg
Level Contributor
267 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need rental car recommendation

There are so many but national Car hire seem to give good rates, and Hertz/Avis will also offer you good rates and they are countrywide so if you have a flat or something they will send someone to help!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
545 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need rental car recommendation

We found it cheapest to book directly online with Avis-- worked out to be $65/day for the cheapest automatic (group D? i think). We rented from the Nelspriut airport Avis site.

Another member recommended this International Discount page on Avis to me (you need to call the Avis in South Africa to book these rates I think-- we could not get it to work online):

http://www.avis.co.za/main.asp?ID=920

This website did have good discount codes for Budget rental cars in Cape Town- you can see if the codes work for Port Elizabeth:

www.rentalcarmomma.com/cities/capetown.htm

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Cape Town
Port Elizabeth
Port Elizabeth
Eastern Cape, South Africa
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
545 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need rental car recommendation

I forgot-- some other tripadvisors recommended this site:

www.carhire3000.com

Evanston, Illinois
Level Contributor
57 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need rental car recommendation

i just returned from a trip to Capetown and Kruger National Park. At both places we found Avis quite reasonable. The rates are good (always look for the specials they have). Also the rates include insurance.

Mentioned in this post
Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need rental car recommendation

Their rates (Avis) along with most other SA rental companies does include SOME insurance ie Collision Damage Waiver (with certain exclusions including driving on dirt roads) and Theft Loss Waiver. It does not include insurance for any other type of damage. Do check the insurance offered to be sure you have sufficient insurance for your needs.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
2 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need rental car recommendation

I can recommend www.capespirit.com

They only offer unlimited mileage which is really great.

And you have the option of taking the excutive cover, which covers for most things.

Made use of them while in Jo'burg and in Durban.

Fast, friendly and the cars where clean and ready on our arrival.

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,151 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need rental car recommendation

Hi

I used Avis in South Africa. But if you go for a cheap car I would recommend a Yaris compared to e.g. the Citi Golf. The build quality feels a lot better in the Yaris so make sure you don't go for the cheapest option.

Regards

Gard

http://gardkarlsen.com

Mentioned in this post
Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need rental car recommendation

A note about kaAngel's recommendation of Cape Spirit for car rental. I have no doubt the vehicles supplied were good and their service was obviously satisfactory, however, their main car rental is through First Car Rental - this is the new name for National Alamo Car Rental. I'm sorry to disagree but I have put many posts on this forum of my experience with National Car Rental (do a search under car rental insurance for further info). I have had a look at their website as I hire several cars a year and am always on the lookout for good insurance cover. Their cover is pretty much the same as all the other car rental firms in SA. They include CDW and TLW and nothing else !!! The Executive Cover you mention is simply another phrase for "Total Cover" - "Complete Cover" etc etc and all it means is you have 'zero excess' in the event of an acceptable claim. They include all the usual waivers and exclusions. I am pleased to see that they do at least give cover for driving on dirt roads, but glass,undercarriage, tyres, hubs,water damage are all excluded as is damage where no other vehicle, person or object is involved. Please be quite clear that if you suffer any damage to the car other than in a collision with another vehicle, person or animal you will be liable for the full cost of repairs. I have had a 3 year legal battle with National Car Rental so can really speak from experience.

Please, whoever you rent from, read their Terms and Conditions carefully so you know exactly what insurance cover you are getting.

Northwestern Ontario
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Need rental car recommendation

We just returned from SA (our first trip there and it was wonderful!!). We rented from Eurocar/Imperial car rental. Didn't have any problems except with gas fill up. When we returned our car in Durban the agent wanted to fill the tank but we had just filled it. He asked for a receipt from the gas station which we did not have. So they filled the car to the rim and we paid R 65 for that. Not a huge deal but still enough to bug you. In Cape Town we had no problem...had the receipt and the guy said he could see that the tank was full. Moral of the story is: keep your receipt when you fill up the tank before returning the car.

Mentioned in this post
Durban
Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
Cape Town
Cape Town
10. Re: Need rental car recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, September 26, 2009